MX5 engine DIY supercharger

Fat Thor

Not one of our members as far as I know. The car is actually a Road Runner SR2, it's easy to think its a Westfield though since their bodywork is such a close facsimile of the FW nose.

I've also been following their tread on MX5Nutz and Locostbuilders.

• Like 1

Are you tempted Mark?

Nah, I'm happy with the power I have :) although I'd enjoy the engineering challenge

:rolleyes: 

Those SR2s are blessed with more space under the bonnet than us, though even that one has required some modification! I do suspect those power figures are a smidge optimistic unless there is more going on inside that engine.

It is actually a guy called Richard Marsh and he is the club chairman for RHOCaR (Robin Hood owners club).  He is known as Steamer on there as he also has a passion for steam/traction engines.

You are right that it is fitted to an Roadrunner SR2, which is also an imaculate build (featured in CKC a year or so ago).  However, he is currently having to re-build the engine as the first went bang.  The reason was traced back to having the cam covers shot blasted to before powder coating.  Not all of the shot powder was cleaned out (even after everal attempts) and it got in to the internals of the engine.  Apparently it is a common issue for the MX5 engine accoding to the guy at RR Racing.

Hopefully it will be back on the road for April as he is supposd to be coming on a road trip round Scotland in it!

As an aside, he has set up RedSeven Auto Engineering to offer his services.  Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/red7autoengineering

Those SR2s are blessed with more space under the bonnet than us, though even that one has required some modification! I do suspect those power figures are a smidge optimistic unless there is more going on inside that engine.

Hi I'm new here so be gentle.... The Sr2 is mine. After having it on the road for 2 yrs decided I needed a power upgrade. I looked at the options and decided on a supercharger. Richard (Redseven engineering) offered to do the machining bits and working out how to fit it as a project. He has done a superb job and compliments the car. On first set up using Canems ECU we made 214bhp and 187lb/ft of torque. Next job was to set a high power setting and a lower power setting. Low for normal driving approx 190 bhp, and high as Kamikaze setting for track use. Expecting 240bhp based on initial mapping. I can assure you this is not optimistic, and engine is completely standard. I had a major issue with the engine as mentioned which was my fault. So new engine being fitted this weekend. Once I have it in, and all set I'll try to post some piccies and rolling road graphs... Pretty impressive for a 1.8 though. This will be one very rapid car. A real testimony to Richards engineering skills

Edited by Tazzzzman1
  • Like 2

Colour me impressed - I was sure those figures were the domain of the turbo boys or superchargers with other work. Time for (another) rethink...

Hi Tazzzzman1 and welcome to the club. If you are located in Barnsley you are not far away from The Strines, where we have a club meet and a run around the Peak District on a regular basis. You are very welcome to come along and show your car off, or even in a tin top as the Sr2 is not ready yet.

Cheers, Julie.

Hi Julie

Thanks. Yes not far from me. Quite often drop in the Strines for a drink.... Hopefully car will be sorted by the end of the month. Looking forward to some decent run outs. A large group of us from RHOCAR are doing a 5 day run around the highlands in April, so need to have the car sorted and debugged before then. What days are your meets? I'll try to pop across

Brill, a supercharger at the meet, can't wait to see it. Officially the meet is the 3rd Sunday of the month, but as i am out in my car most weekends we tend to meet up most Sunday's. Ha, sod's law, tomorrow we are not meeting because I am at an Area Organiser's meet in Oldham. If you look in 'events' you can see our past meets and keep an eye out for future activities. I expect to be meeting next Sunday. 

When you go on your Highlands trip, will you be going with Phil Shenton, Gaz, RichieB, Kerry or Andi? If so say hi from me, they are a great bunch of guys, you will have such a laugh. 

I'll pass on your regards.. Will be across when weathers a bit brighter. Spending the next few weeks getting the car sorted. Hopefully see you soon

Heres a few piccies of the car prior to charger being fitted. I'll add a few more when charger is done in a few weeks.

IMG_3758_zpseb5507fe.jpg

IMG_3804_zpsdef0ca3f.jpg

IMG_3771_zps0a84ba3b.jpg

• Like 3