• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

888's are amazing! But should I stick to road tyres...?

CJspeedsport

I had my first real go on the 888's today at Llandow and they were sensational!!! I spent the morning with James Harrison (top bloke) the Llandow instructor on bog standard road tyres which was great fun, but the car was twitchy, especially putting the power down coming out of the corners. Wth the 888's the car felt glued to the track and about twice as quick!

However, a couple of people have suggested that due to my distinct lack of experience (only ever driven forward wheel drive, diesel cars at road speeds!) I should stick with road tyres and learn more about the limits of traction and controlling skids (still pretty rubbish at that) etc etc at the lower speeds that these events occur with road going economy style tyres.

Your thoughts please good sirs!!

CJ

(Please bear in mind that it is my ambition to regularly race against other cars in the next couple of years, be spotted by Horner/Whitmash etc and be put in an F1 seat (after several months of boot camp style exercise and dieting, I would presume) and therefore want to really become a top notch driver)

I run 888s on the road.  You'd need to be quite committed (perhaps too committed) to get close to the edge of 888 performance on the road... unless of course you're hammering cold tyres/damp conditions etc.

If I was doing lots of road miles or driving regularly in really wet conditions then I might be tempted by something slightly less sticky and harder wearing.  Purely for cost, rather than to make it "interesting".

For learning more about the limits, why not do another track day on less grippy tyres?  You've then got the benefit of run off areas if you get it wrong...

i would run track tyres on the track - sliding about makes you slower.... 888's for me if i were you  :t-up:

Stick with the 888's. They are superb and will give to far better feedback and warning before they "let go" than normal road tyres.

If you want to go fast stick with the 888's

If you want to have fun at slower speeds and save a fair bit of dosh go for some more traditional boots - you just drive with what you have

That is my conclusion after 2-3 years of track days anyway

I am lucky enough two sets of spare rims so I have options of of sticky a048's, some a021r's which I tend to use for the road and some cheapy nankangs which are bl**** awful but hilarious fun at the same time

I guess if I had just one set and it was mainly track I would stick with the 888's that you have

If mainly track, stick to 888's. I use my Westfield as daily drive, Brum to Newcastle in the snow is interesting. Brum to Devon in rain/snow and ice is ok till I hit the lanes! So T1R's are my weapon of choice. But nobody seems interested in my old wheels, so do I use them for 888's or for winter tyre... Hmm...