Old people still working

Norman Verona

Both my Dad and my father inlaw have retired in the last 2 years and both claim to be far too busy for a full time job! My father inlaw spends a lot of time cycling and doing stuff round the house / garden (I reckon he'd be very competent at building a Westfield... if he had time!). My Dad plays golf 3 times a week and does a little bit of lecturing / course work marking for the Royal Agricultural college! Retirement sounds good to me. My best hope is a promotion or two and to hold down steady employments for the next 30 years. Hopefully I'll keep one or two of the benefits I had when I started 10 years ago!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alexander72

• Norman Verona

• iain m

• martyblues

I went into semi retirement at 50 but soon got bored with polishing the grass. Went back to work and am still doing it 11 years later, but am seriously considering packing it in now, no reason to do it other than to give me a main thing to do in between playing with the car and paying for the kids expenses. Thats a feeble excuse and I think its going to be months now instead of years so watch this space. Work is not good at the moment with the old farts doing the work and the grads doing F*ck all just being inexperienced and useless managers.

Joy

Bob :d

I retired from a pretty demanding job on 31st December at 58 and a half.  Only done 3 days consultancy since then and am absolutely loving it.  Not an easy decsion to go, but I am pleased I took notice of those who told me I would wonder how I had time to work rather than those who told me I would turn into a vegetable without the stimulus of work. 

Place I baled out of had turned from a great teamworking business into one similar to some mentioned above over the last 5 years but, in this case, a culture amongst younger managers that it might be seen as a weakness to ask the older guys for any advice (or even let them know what you were doing in case they might be critical). Very shortsighted.

Stuart

My brother told me a story about a guy (newly retired) who was caught by his wife...

Watching the horse racing on TV...

(no real problem there IMO)

...still wearing his pyjamas :d  :d  :d  :d

Rory's Dad

My dad was made redundant after 29 years of permanent night shift on the local newspaper. He was 59 at the time. All the information he recieved was take early retirement, its all sorted as part of your redundancy package. However he couldnt "not work" so he ended up collecting trolleys around safeway car park, within 6 months he was in charge of the warehouse with a mobile phone and a company car! The reason for the promotions according the the management - The youth they employed were just bone idle. Whats worse is, they admit it!