Brand New Car Paint Defect

KugaWestie

I agree with SteveD ref the trapped moisture, I've seen it many times before on new cars. It is possible to heat the mark (very carefully) with a heat gun which normally is enough to remove the mark or make it's appearance acceptable. However - be warned, if you do paint damage in the process don't expect a successful warranty claim!

I've removed marks 2 foot square with heat lamps but beware of damage, only rectification if you burn or the mark doesn't shift is to repaint.

Rich

What kind of attitude is that. I wouldn't expect this from any new car no matter how cheap. Thankfully there are manufacturers out there that do take customer service and quality seriously

You`re so right......Next mummy bus was new Kia Sorento 3.5 petrol............Best service we`ve ever had. :d  :d

The photos went to the lease company today, with an explanation of how the damage has occured based on the excellent comments on this thread.

The lease company response - oh thats easy to sort out, it it a 5 minute job :oops:

I am now waiting for a date when the can do their 5 minute magic repair :laugh:

The photos went to the lease company today, with an explanation of how the damage has occured based on the excellent comments on this thread.

The lease company response - oh thats easy to sort out, it it a 5 minute job :oops:

I am now waiting for a date when the can do their 5 minute magic repair :laugh:

gaffa tape :yes:

yah it can fix anything ,apparantly

Only two tools required.

If it's loose - gaffa tape

If it's tight - WD40

By the way, I don't see what it's got to do with the lease company.

Just take it into your nearest Merc dealer and ask them, nicely, to fix it. Also make sure they lay on a courtesy car when it goes in.

IMO it is right to contact the lease company first - after all if there are any problems when the lease ends and the car goes back then at least it is on file.

If they dont perform, then it is off to the dealers in a few days

IMO it is right to contact the lease company first - after all if there are any problems when the lease ends and the car goes back then at least it is on file.

If they dont perform, then it is off to the dealers in a few days

I think you`re doing the right thing.........they`ll only send it back to the dealer,but your covering your own back.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after two visits to my local dealership, we appear to be making progress  :)

Mercedes have agreed that it is a warranty item and the bodyshop will be contacting me to arrange to carry out the repair in the next week or so

Glad they`ve agreed it`s a warranty matter.......were they thinking it was a non covered tropical disease ?

Hope they do a good job `cos it`ll always catch your eye now !

Glad they`ve agreed it`s a warranty matter.......were they thinking it was a non covered tropical disease ?

Hope they do a good job `cos it`ll always catch your eye now !

:laugh:

The argument was whether Germany should pay, or whether the supplying dealer/transporter should pay.

All sorted out now and I am dropping it off on Monday next week for the work. 2-3 days so I assume they are respraying the door, will find out when I drop it in.

Was the second visit for an appointment with a factory inspector?

Renault used to do that. We would book about 20 people in for his visit and then he wouldn't turn up. Whereas with a Nissan paint claim we would phone our rep (we only had one, for Renault we had 4) explain the nature of the defect and were given the go ahead on the phone.

Ed to add that you posted whilst I was typing. So, because they want to apportion a cost centre you have been inconvenienced. They could have arranged for it to be resprayed  and sorted out who paid after. Personally I would say the dealer should pay. He should have dealt with before delivery. If it was DIT then it will be difficult to claim of the transport company now.