Brand New Car Paint Defect

KugaWestie

How about this then.

Today was my first real chance to give the new car a clean down and see it in daylight.

I came across this on the drivers door, under the handle  :oops:

SAM_1431.jpg

SAM_1429.jpg

SAM_1430.jpg

It is underneath the surface of the paint, I had a bit of Farecla G3 on it and it didnt touch it.

It looks really wierd close up in the flesh. It looks like a sticker residue that has been sprayed in.

Phone calls will start in the morning!

that will be where the plastic door edge protector has been while its been in transit , that usually happens when they have been put on fresh paint and it turns the laquer milky with the moisture trapped behind the protector

same thing happens when you remove stuck on mouldings on corsa's etc etc

just give them a bell and im sure they will sort it without issue ,but to be honest there is no way that should have made it through pdi like that or put out to the public ,pretty shody in that respect but on the other hand we are only human and **** happens

• Like 1

Sounds a reasonable explanation Steve, cheers.

Would there be a laquer on a flat colour?

You are right, no way it should have got through pdi though. But saying that, I have had it two weeks and only noticed it today!

Sounds a reasonable explanation Steve, cheers.

Would there be a laquer on a flat colour?

You are right, no way it should have got through pdi though. But saying that, I have had it two weeks and only noticed it today!

yes everything is laquered these days as the base colours are water based or complient and have a high solids laquer on top

It's a worry Bernie but he does know his paints and shower trays.

Bob :down:

yes everything is laquered these days as the base colours are water based or complient and have a high solids laquer on top

That explains it then.

Is that a cut back and blow over then do you think?

That explains it then.

Is that a cut back and blow over then do you think?

paint full front door and maybe blend

It will be interesting to see how this goes tomorrow, car is through a leasing company

Doesn`t suprise me at all.We`ve had three new C class cars,2 estates & C32 saloon.We could write a book on the problems we`ve had. Mercedes even took one car back saying  `we heard  we had a Friday afternoon car`.Wouldn`t have another one,although we`ve a friend who loves his C320 Estate. We were told by Mercedes that we weren`t buying £70k cars and should not expect the same quality at entry level ??????Glad you haven`t parted with your own cash although you`ll pay through your P11D,do though hope you have a better experience than we did.

What has probably happened is the car was damaged in transit and repaired at the docks. Most of the docks have a remedial bay for shipping damage, hence they will have done a minor repair and laqured the whole door has the residue is under the top coat.

We were told by Mercedes that we weren`t buying £70k cars and should not expect the same quality at entry level.

What kind of attitude is that. I wouldn't expect this from any new car no matter how cheap. Thankfully there are manufacturers out there that do take customer service and quality seriously

What has probably happened is the car was damaged in transit and repaired at the docks. Most of the docks have a remedial bay for shipping damage, hence they will have done a minor repair and laqured the whole door has the residue is under the top coat.

quite possibly  jeff , but the milky effect you see is not a residue under the laquer it is infact the laquer that has been effected and turned milky ,you get this when you stick things onto fresh paintwork in this case (the door edge protectors)which are about 10-12" long and 2" wide and d shaped soft plastic  and moisture gets trapped behind and then it effects the laquer ,you see the same when you remove some side strips and badges etc on different makes ,especially when young lads remove the side mouldings from silver corsa's which is the trend ,your left with milky lines down the sides where the mouldings once were

It's a shame that dealer decisions can give a product a bad name, I have had years of faultless service with my 2 local BMW dealers and recently purchased my wife a 2 year old 10,000 miles Merc C class AMG Sport Est Auto fully loaded  in mint condition from a Merc Dealer. I looked over every detail of the car and could find no marks or damage anywhere so I was surprised when they said there were a couple of marks on a wheel and they would have them all refurbed!! On collecting the car ( looking like new) they had also renewed all the wheel badges as they said a couple looked a bit faded. This was my first Merc purchase, the dealer was some 40 miles away and I will return there for service although there are 3 Merc dealer nearer to home. Some new cars must get damaged in transit but whether its a retail sale or a low earner fleet sale the manufacturers should not allow any car to be sold with known defects, financial punishment would soon sort them out.

That's the way I tried to run the dealerships i ran.

However the usual attitude is there a lot more punters out there so why try and look after customers. After all most customers are a pain in the bum, aren't yhey?

The biggest cost a dealership has after wages is advertising. If it costs so much to get them why not put a bit of effort into keeping them.