My Westie

Steve_Farrimond

Ref your fault, testing the coolant temp sensor is pretty easy.  Turn the ignition on and measure the voltage on each wire (sensor connected), you should have 0v on one wire and between 3.5-4v (cold) and 0.5-1v (hot) on the other.  

Air temp would be similar but but won't change as much, would probably read about 3v.  From the symptoms you describe it's pretty unlikely to be the air temp sensor or crank sensor.

For local Westfield events, the first officially approved trackday of 2013 is at Oulton Park on March 1st, you'd be very welcome to come along (thread in events section).

• Like 1

Sorry, I meant what MemSec said. I think we're up to about 6 different answers so here's another.

Have a good look at the plug connectors on the engine loom. Look to see if you have any burnt or dirty connections.

Pity it's not the battery, but that's another story best left to rot away.

Oh, OK, I'll tell you. We had a chap who refused to be a member but did a 7 page wind up on a fault when we all told him it was the battery. It was the battery and he knew it all the time but thought it was fun to waste everyone's time. he's gone now. 

haha.

yea I've checked all the plugs and they all seem perfect. its not a consistant miss and sometimes it runs perfectly.

so I assume its down to the temp sensors or the map. its much better since the jobs ive done and may just require a blast now to clean it out internally.

i've done a blog of progress so far.

• Like 1

Oh Noooooo!

dont say you got sucked in by the old " built by a ford engineer , he sold it because he emigrated to sef africa"  dodge :down:

cant say I'm shocked though , we did sell you a very dodgy London Bridge after all :laugh:

cant say I'm shocked though , we did sell you a very dodgy London Bridge after all :laugh:

One of the biggest myths ever...

Clicky

Have I missed something here. Is Steve F an American? Do we now have two of our cousins here?

not me, not as far as i'm aware anyhow.

no i'm not simple enough to be sucked in with any dangler n bull story.

I wonder what he was on about then.

Hey, Bernie, what you on about then?

Steve my Speedsport suffered overcooling issues have a look at:

http://home.btconnect.com/astro-site/overcooling.htm

If you need to do the mod parts are available from:

http://www.plays-kool.co.uk/acatalog/Hoses.html

I'm over in Alsager if you need to look at a car with the mod installed.

I also had it remapped locally which made a huge difference.

Have a word with Fraser over at Blink his advice very informative.

Andy

thanks Andy, I have modded the system. if you take a look in the blog section you will see what I have done so far.

Steve,

Just a couple of pointers:

(1) In your blog you show the fuel injectors with the red top - these injectors get quite close to their maximum duty cycle on some Speed Sport models. (Some Speed Sports were fitted with a Scholar 1800 engine whiich gave more power - to identify this the Scholar engine block is painted Maroon & has an engine number begininng in SK.)

(2) To make sense of anything you will need to see what the ECU is reading in real time.

(3) The MBE 956 had a propensity to burn out it's drivers, especially those with firmware 256 - to avoid the above you need to ensure your idle speed is 1000rpm+ and the 'coil on dwell time' isn't set any higher than 3ms.

HTH