My Westie

Steve_Farrimond

I test drove that same car when I was looking for mine (back in July). I cant believe you didn't spot the issue? Er...Not really sure how to break this to you...just kidding, it seemed like a lovely example to my, admittedly untrained, eye. I was very tempted to have it myself but it was slightly over budget at the time. 

FWIW I found Toybox (Andrew?) to be really helpful and took his time with me even though I ended up purchasing elsewhere. 

haha! Yes I was the same, I found him to be great.

but when the car was stone cold it ran fine as it should be on choke. as the engine gets warmer though (internally) the car needs to come off choke, but the water in the engine was still cold, so it remained on choke and as a result run like a bag of nails when warm.

hope that makes sense.

Steve, no it does not make sense. Your car is injected and shouldn't have a choke. Unless your using "choke" to illustrate a point.

If so then it sound like the temperature sender isn't working (the one to the ECU) and the ecu thinks the engine is cold or it needs re-mapping.

You'll now get 10 different opinions, but that's normal.

thats it, just for illustration purposes.

is there a way of testing the temp sensor? i.e. resistance etc....????

don't understand what you mean mate;

"You'll now get 10 different opinions, but that's normal"

think he means that you will get 10 diff answers of us all guessing what the problem could be. im surprised no one has suggested its the battery yet  :p (its not)

What Norman means is that, with the best of intentions, 10 people will have 10 opinions as to what needs sorting.  This is normal.

MemSec's axiom is that the more paranoid the mind, the simpler the cure.  Start simple, first and always, and 9 times out of 10 it will be simple.  Start complicated, and things will go downhill and cost a fortune until you arrive at the simple cheap solution you should have started at to begin with. ;) 

well the possibilities could be;

• map
  • air temp sensor
  • water temp sensor 
  • crank sensor

everything else has been checked.

What Norman means is that, with the best of intentions, 10 people will have 10 opinions as to what needs sorting.  This is normal.

MemSec's axiom is that the more paranoid the mind, the simpler the cure.  Start simple, first and always, and 9 times out of 10 it will be simple.  Start complicated, and things will go downhill and cost a fortune until you arrive at the simple cheap solution you should have started at to begin with. ;) 

10 different answers, yes thats normal but I always go with a consenus of opinions.

the easiest way yo check the sensors would be to log on to the ecu and see what readings you have

ECU is a MBE 956

down loaded easi map 6 and struggled. it connected but was getting weird results, so rather than create a problem I logged off and gave up.

I then found out I should have used easi map 5, also from the wiring diagram of the interface plug I question wether the cable I have is the correct one.

9pin to 9 pin. but I believe the correct one has resistors in the plugs. is this true?????

either way I gave up. 

just had a quick look and i think your right about needing a special serial lead. you will also require a usb-rs232 adapter. 

thought so. I just used RS232 from the ECU to the RS232 on my tough-book

i got the comms working and it recognised the ECU but the figures were jumping all over. so wasn't sure if it was the cable or the wrong version of easi map

not sure but im sure some expert will be along soon well maybe tomorrow

Don't use an RS232 cable - the MBE lead is different and you can damage the ECU!

If you are using Easymap 5 you need a config file to support the MBE 956 to get sensible readings - Easymap 4 is for the 956 ECU.

If you are struggling then give us a call/drop us an email - we can 'look' at your ECU map for you on our Dynapack.

HTH

• Like 2

I know Holmfirth very well its avery small town & the only 2 westies I know been the former a.o for Yorkshire were Steve Maund's(Muttlley Boy) 2.0 Zetec red bull car and Simon Brumfields 1800 sport and in the next village was Simons brother with an SEiGHT. But that does mean there wasn't another westy but I can't say I ever saw a yellow one but I guess if it was SORNd for 5 years I guess I wouldn't! Anyway Steve is a great looking car and welcome

Buzz

• Like 1