Wide Track Pro's & Con's

Marto303

So probably another daft newbie question but having searched  the forums I dont have all the answers.

I love the look of the cars i've seen with wide track fitted but what extactly would be the pro's & con's for my car a fairly std sew with 2.0L zetec and live axle.

I will mainly use this car for spirited road use this year with the odd track day thrown in. However long term I would like to end up with a car that is equally at home on both.

Hi,

It's so easy to catch upgradeitis. I'd really suggest trying to keep it under control for the moment.  Drive the car for this summer and see which bits you like and which you don't.  You may find the handling is fine for road use but you need to do something about the brakes, or maybe the ratios in the gearbox or diff aren't suited, or you find the seats uncomfortable, or you want more flexibility from the engine.....  There will be plenty of opportunity to spend your money.

There's a load of experience at both the Bucks and the Northants groups that will be only too happy to help.

Hi,

It's so easy to catch upgradeitis. I'd really suggest trying to keep it under control for the moment.  Drive the car for this summer and see which bits you like and which you don't.  You may find the handling is fine for road use but you need to do something about the brakes, or maybe the ratios in the gearbox or diff aren't suited, or you find the seats uncomfortable, or you want more flexibility from the engine.....  There will be plenty of opportunity to spend your money.

There's a load of experience at both the Bucks and the Northants groups that will be only too happy to help.

That is exactly my plan, other than a proper nut & bolt check over, run it for this summer and take it from there. I have only driven my westy for two or three hundred miles ( not sure cos the odometer doesn't work but the run home was over 100 miles and some local use) but I already know the brakes aren't up to the job.

I also have two other cars/toys to deal with before I can consider starting any work on this one.

In the mean time  between this forum and the local meets I'm sure you guys will provide me with answers or opinions to my questions.

So on a cold snowy winters day I was just keen to listen to your opinions as to the pro's & con's of wide track.

I have Widetrack & it definitely feels well planted compared to my first non WT Westie, but it's a whole better car anyways ;)

One of my mates hillclimbs & his comment was that he knows the width of the rear easier with WT which helps him at various corners & pinch points.

Ive heard it said that turning circle improves with WT, but I've not noticed that, it's still pants compared to a tintop, but hey do I care? ;)

you can turn the wheel from lock to lock without the need to fit stops to the rack

It changes the turning circle from that of a large ocean liner to that of a slightly smaller ocean liner....

if you have an anti roll bar you will need a wider one and you will also require new brake pipes. there is also a new set of bushes to add to the cost

Not worth doing on a live axled car - the front track width would be wider than the rear. Keep it as it is.

Ahh, well done Blink.  I was tempted to add last night that when I had a live axle car the front track was only about 20mm narrower than the rear but I wasn't certain if that was generally correct or more specifically to do with the wheel offsets I had.

Not worth doing on a live axled car - the front track width would be wider than the rear. Keep it as it is.

Thanks Blink I hadn't considered that.

Just to be pedantic, that depends on the wheel spec (offset) on the rear. The rear bodywork is the same width after all  :d

The only big advantage of wide track is the turning circle imho. I did upgrade as I found myself hitting apex cones with the rear with the standard track. There's a lot better things to spend your money on...