Have I lost the plot or am I a visionary ?

Graham0127

Norm, the Robin didnt eat a whole sandwich... just little pieces of crust and seeded wholemeal bread..... Robins dont like ham just the record......

I wasn't thinking that. I just had a vision of you sitting on a log, feeding a little Robin pieces of sandwich whilst he sat on your knee.

Jewish Robin, no I haven't any Robins in my family.

Footballers are worth the money they get paid because someone wants to pay them that. 

Do you begrudge the top film stars the millions they get paid?

Over a billion people watch Man U play every week (most in China). If everyone paid just a £1 then I would say the footballers are under paid.

However if you take the argument to its extreme, that if their not happy with the pay then get another job, we wouldn't have any firefighters, nurses or teachers. I would think that most do it because of the job satisfaction but that doesn't mean that we should pay them as little as we can.

That argument only works if peoples pay is actually based on their market value, not the entrenched pay and conditions that have been negotiated by the unions.  When there are people queueing up to become firemen it's safe to say that you could reduce wages and still have enough of them.

We are struggling to get teachers of a high enough standard, maybe nurses as well(?), it's not a problem with firemen.

We are struggling to get teachers of a high enough standard, maybe nurses as well(?)

Maybe better pay would attract more recruits. Then we could weed out those that aren't suited to the job.

I'm not sure your argument about unions negotiating pay means that the employer should pay over the odds.

Whilst we're rattling on about pay in public jobs when are we going to get rid of the grossly overpaid managers in the NHS. If we went back to letting the doctors run their departments we would raise morale and save a substantial cost which can go into medical services.

Maybe better pay would attract more recruits. Then we could weed out those that aren't suited to the job.

I'm not sure your argument about unions negotiating pay means that the employer should pay over the odds.

Whilst we're rattling on about pay in public jobs when are we going to get rid of the grossly overpaid managers in the NHS. If we went back to letting the doctors run their departments we would raise morale and save a substantial cost which can go into medical services.

Line one. Yes I agree.

Line two, it's part of the ongoing, can't-take-it-back culture.  In fairness it's not just down to the unions, the whole public sector is to blame.  Thirty years ago well funded public sector pensions were justified by the low wages relative to the private sector; now, wages have more than caught up in the majority of cases but when pension reform is mooted there is outrage.  Employment terms in the pubic sector are like human rights, they progress slowly but only ever in one direction.

Line three.  Yep, probably right for 99% of cases.

Steve, the pension thing is just pure management errors. If you employ someone with a package that says, say, 10% less salary than the private sector but a better pension to make up for it then you shouldn't increase the salary in later years without reducing the pensions. Don't blame the employee for the employers stupidity. They were taken on with a certain level of pension. In my opinion that cannot just be taken away. It's OK if it's used as a negotiating chip when increasing salaries.

It's the same with the police. The police pension is paid out of capital. In other words it's the same as paying the working bobbies. Then some idiot who was home secretary at the time decides to reduce the retirement age of bobbies to 55. When it was higher (60 I think) it was OK because the serving bobbies contributions covered the pension cost. Now the forces are paying out more in pensions than the contributions. One of the reason we don't have enough bobbies on the beat.

Just enjoyed catching up!  These two posts in particular tickled me  :laugh:

HM has £9.99 tops which are 30 years old. Still look OK.

..if i needed to be saved from a burning building i would rather have someone that was fit and able for the job and not someone that looked like death warmed up.