Have I lost the plot or am I a visionary ?

Graham0127

I had a 6 day tiling job to do in a large property, a guy i knew (full time fire fighter) was working there for all 6 days and a further 3 days after i left, 8am to 4pm every day. He was also working nights fire fighting?? I asked how he managed to work all day then all night? His answer to me was, hopefully i wont be called out so i can sleep most of the night.

I think if i needed to be saved from a burning building i would rather have someone that was fit and able for the job and not someone that looked like death warmed up.

Not bothered if people want to earn extra cash good on them, theres enough lazy sods about but if it effects the safety of others then i feel its wrong.    Rant over ;)    

People choose their careers based on what they like to do.

That doesn't mean we have to take advantage of that. In actual fact the pay isn't that bad unless it's going to be cut for the qualified staff. I do think the starting salary is probably a bit high.

I guess you think teachers, who will attempt to give your children a good education are overpaid as well.

Clearly, with the economy and national debt in dire straights we probably pay everyone too much. We also spent far too much, a lot on credit. We will see even more thinning out in the retail sector over the next year. 

How can we sustain the mobile phone businesses the way we do. I was in one of the phone shops in Meadowhall last year. The girl buying a phone next to me was on first name terms with the salesman. This was her 4th new phone in 12 months. Money to burn or no sense.

If you walk around Meadowhall most of the shops are selling clothes. How many clothes do we need? We both have clothes which may well be older than you! But they're not worn out and still fit. OK, they may not be fashionable at the moment but we only have to wait a few years and they will be - again.

HM will not pay more than £9.99 for her "tops". A friend bought a "top" in one of the fashion stores for £60. She washed it once and had to throw it away. HM has £9.99 tops which are 30 years old. Still look OK.

OK, thanks for letting me rant on. I feel better now.

We all know it's not all about the money..... I know i can live ok on less than 19k if i had to, no problem. But i like driving my car and having a couple of holidays every year so i work more days to do it.

Is a footballer worth millions £ a year?? Are the stupid idiot reality tv people worth what they earn?? when teachers, nurses, police, soldiers, fire fighters etc earn what they earn. Individual choice, some want more and more money and some work because they love the job and the rewards it brings to that individual. Rant over.....again ;)

Tyson, agree with you on that. His direct manager should have noticed he was tired when coming on shift.

I had a 6 day tiling job to do in a large property, a guy i knew (full time fire fighter) was working there for all 6 days and a further 3 days after i left, 8am to 4pm every day. He was also working nights fire fighting?? I asked how he managed to work all day then all night? His answer to me was, hopefully i wont be called out so i can sleep most of the night.

I think if i needed to be saved from a burning building i would rather have someone that was fit and able for the job and not someone that looked like death warmed up.

Not bothered if people want to earn extra cash good on them, theres enough lazy sods about but if it effects the safety of others then i feel its wrong.    Rant over ;)    

Really like this posting....Firemen should fight fires ....Brickies lay bricks....and so on.

• Like 1

People choose their careers based on what they like to do.

That doesn't mean we have to take advantage of that. In actual fact the pay isn't that bad unless it's going to be cut for the qualified staff. I do think the starting salary is probably a bit high.

I guess you think teachers, who will attempt to give your children a good education are overpaid as well.

Clearly, with the economy and national debt in dire straights we probably pay everyone too much. We also spent far too much, a lot on credit. We will see even more thinning out in the retail sector over the next year. 

How can we sustain the mobile phone businesses the way we do. I was in one of the phone shops in Meadowhall last year. The girl buying a phone next to me was on first name terms with the salesman. This was her 4th new phone in 12 months. Money to burn or no sense.

If you walk around Meadowhall most of the shops are selling clothes. How many clothes do we need? We both have clothes which may well be older than you! But they're not worn out and still fit. OK, they may not be fashionable at the moment but we only have to wait a few years and they will be - again.

HM will not pay more than £9.99 for her "tops". A friend bought a "top" in one of the fashion stores for £60. She washed it once and had to throw it away. HM has £9.99 tops which are 30 years old. Still look OK.

OK, thanks for letting me rant on. I feel better now.

Must type quicker................... :down:

Tyson, agree with you on that. His direct manager should have noticed he was tired when coming on shift.

Most of them at that station where doing jobs on the side building, gardening, decorating and window cleaning...........they are the ones i knew about........all in it together, nothing gets done about it until after a serious problem arises, like most things. :(   

hey guys, i think it's each to their own..... in all walks of life.  If a fireman chooses to work on his day off so what??? it's not our business what his contract of employment permits interms of time off or what he does in his spare time....

Ive had highly paid jobs in the past in the City and ive done voluntary work across the continents of EU and Africa... i know which i found more rewarding ":-) 

Anyway, back to Boris,..... i loved it when he got struck above the thames..... V funny 

...Complete U -TURN

If I take on half a dozen firemen ,I could stay at home and spend eveyday on here ranting withyou guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO....They`d probably fall asleep :d

Footballers are worth the money they get paid because someone wants to pay them that. 

Do you begrudge the top film stars the millions they get paid?

Over a billion people watch Man U play every week (most in China). If everyone paid just a £1 then I would say the footballers are under paid.

However if you take the argument to its extreme, that if their not happy with the pay then get another job, we wouldn't have any firefighters, nurses or teachers. I would think that most do it because of the job satisfaction but that doesn't mean that we should pay them as little as we can.

Are the bank dealers who earn a million pounds a year worth it? Well they are to the banks who pay them. But what do they contribute to society - nothing. What do fireman, policeman, teachers and nurses contribute - everything, just think what you'd do without them.

I'm not arguing it's OK for these people to moon light because it's not. My point was that if we paid them a decent wage and arranged the shifts so they didn't have 4 days off they probably wouldn't (well most wouldn't). Isn't that what the current firefighters dispute is about, new shift patterns.

OK, Boris. Maybe he should do a stint as a fireman. probably be better than being a politician.

Yes ,they`re afraid they`ll have to work normal hours and have less `otherjob` time.

Teachers....they earn their money.The teachers at my kids school are brilliant,always available,considerate and turning out bright,polite and well balanced children.The school has never closed because of adverse weather in 18 years.Give`em another £6k...it wouldn`t come close to covering their unpaid overtime !!

My rant over...

heheheheh..... good one Norm..... Did i do  a U-turn? or have i just come in out the cold and felt a wash of good spirit to all men feelings after a great day in the woods.... the latter methinks.  I fed a robin with my sarnies at lunchtime and we had a fire to sit by..... top day :-) 

I fed a robin with my sarnies at lunchtime

Brilliant.