Have I lost the plot or am I a visionary ?

Graham0127

I think it's just something that we should put up with if we expect those that occasionally put their life on the line in pursuit of £23k pa (soon reducing to £19k) to continue to do so.

My mate gets a lot more than that and still does SFA.He has put his life at risk though.......I`ll give you that one...he came out on the back of my MiileR.

Shocked that their salary is to be reduced.....someone has obviously had the bol10x to stand up & tell them what they`re really worth.

OOOHHHH I feel it coming.................................................

crikey, steady on chaps.....we all need firemen and firewomen.  :-) As a climbing arborist with 7 years training and then 5 year apprenticeship under my belt i feel qualiified to comment.  Many people in the tree game work on £100 a day - cash in hand with no insurance etc  tc etc  etc etc  just like any industry.  

Crown reductions are a skill that few can master well and it is testimony to your contractor if the tree looks better 2 years after the initial works..  It's each to their own but I believe you get what you pay for in life which is why dont do home electrics, home suspension set up, home boiler servicing as i'm neither trained nor competent in any of those - BUT I can climb and I can cut wood.

and relax ....... :d 

Ah.....  crown reduction is the term I was looking for.Trees still look great,especially the horse chestnuts,they`re pretty flippin` big and still look great......beech and ash also(although they`ll likely get diseased).I`m no expert but still prune the fruit tree I`ve got left taking instruction from books. 

If any other Essex guys want the number of the men who did my trees I`m happy to forward their number..also very tidy.

I know we need `fire fighters`...but that`s what they should stick to ....

ps what happened to conker kanker

pps  let me know how you get bon with the GoPro.

Will do Wuv :-) happy days.....  I love a good cold snap.... climbing all morning, logging all afternoon... :-) 

My friend Jacob was in the forest with his friend Ian. Jacob had felled a tree and dragged it to the side of the road and was trimming it. Ian was cutting down a tree. Only problem was when it fell it fell on Jacob.

He was out for a minute or so and they took him to hospital. He's OK and considers himself lucky.

Only lucky people have trees fall on them :)

I think it's just something that we should put up with if we expect those that occasionally put their life on the line in pursuit of £23k pa (soon reducing to £19k) to continue to do so.

Just watching the news.....shouldn`t those £23k firefighters be at work & not protesting...or is it their day off & they`re just wearing the nice warm coats and boots we pay for to stop themselves getting cold....,...do they wear these to cut trees down ?

Job applications for the fire service outnumber vacancies by something like 100 to 1 so I can't see any harm in cutting the wages for it, seems pretty unlikely that we will run out of capable people wanting the job.  There's plenty of equally dangerous jobs that pay less and don't involve a full time wage for part time hours.

Back on the OP, yep, lets get Boris in as PM  :t-up:

We just do not value our important public service empployes.

Teachers should be paid much more as they hold all our futures in their skill. I know there are some bad teachers but if they were paid better maybe we would get better.

Nurses are under valued - same applies as teachers.

Fireman. Would you do the job for a little over £1500 a month? Why not change the shift system so they work a bit longer and pay them a decent wage so they don't have to moonlight.

Policeman - well, of course, they're OK, The evil one made sure of that. Must pay well for law and order to keep the rabble rousers down.

Now, who have I left out. 

Ah, yes politicians, maybe we should pay them more now they can't fiddle their expenses.

If the topic is fireman moonlighting i think that its down to having 4 days free when off duty in a block...., My mate is a firefighter and we play rugby together and he does "landscaping and grass mowing".....  does not do tree work as he says it's too dangerous  :) .  He earns a very good wage at the fire service and loves his job and only has the second job as he gets bored sitting around for half the week.

My business does many different things throughout the seasons to make ends meet, hay, ploughing, climbing, forestry, forwarding, grain carting, lambing (for others), snow clearance and so on.... many times of the year we have machinery working 24hours a day as it's the only way earn a living

Everyone should be paid more - then we could get the economy moving faster :-) 

This `fireman` thing is getting quite deep with split opinions.....

Wondering how many members see it as OK for firemen we pay for to moonlight for CASH when they get a more than fair wage for what they do & thousands of people are unemployed???

The work they are pinching is stopping other people taking on these jobs .If they aren`t happy with their income should they leave and retrain for a better paying job ? :down:

I'm not sure that's the point. The point is if we pay fireman £19,000* pa what do you expect. Can you live on £1583 a month?

It's not only about money. Would you risk your life by going into a burning building? 

I worked with the Fire Brigade when running the Blue Light Show for South Yorkshire Police. They are dedicated people and deserve more than we, society, gives them.

There is always someone who will do a job for cash. Problem is that most of them are on benefits.

*If that isn't the pay then I'd like to know what it is. I would have thought that the pay of a fully qualified fireman should be about £26,000 PA

Ed to add that I looked it up.

I'm happy with this. But it won't stop them earning a bit more with 4 days off.

• There is a nationally agreed salary structure for firefighters. The starting salary for a trainee firefighter is £21,157. When full competence is achieved, this rises to £28,199. Higher rates apply for overtime.
  • Crew manager salaries range from £29,971 (development) to £31,263 (competent) and watch manger salaries range from £31,940-£34,961.
  • A station manager's earning potential is between £36,365 and £40,109 plus overtime rates, subject to the officer's level of competence.
  • Further advancement to the role of group manager and then area manager attracts salaries of between £41,881 and £53,934, depending on the level of competence.
  • There are two types of firefighter: whole-time and retained. Whole-time members generally work in urban areas, whereas retained firefighters tend to cover rural areas, responding to pagers when an emergency call is received. A retained firefighter must live or work within five minutes of the fire station. Most brigades offer several types of retained contract based on different levels of commitment.

Shift patterns:

Working hours typically include regular unsocial hours. Firefighters usually work in shifts - most work two day shifts followed by two night shifts and then have four days off. However, different services employ different duty systems, depending on their needs. When necessary, paid overtime is worked.

Hi Norman..

I couldn`t live on that salary....nor` would I want to, that`s why I`m not a fireman.I would though put myself at risk to save someone.

If these guys are so brave & dedicated to saving life..........

Let them join the ARMY....worse pay,longer hours,more dangerous & less support.