Recommend source for "bent" Type 9 gear lever

Dodgey

Anyone know where to look for the bent type gear lever for a type 9 box? My gear stick is under the dash and is a bit of a stretch. I have fitted carpets so don't really want to hack them up to fit a the gear extension "kit" - where you cut a new hole in the tunnel etc. I have however seen a fair few cars with sticks that go up an inch , then toward the driver at 45 degrees.

Any idea where I get one? or, if I assume, most people bend a regular stick - which stick?

Sierra normally but they have that antivibration lump on them may be able to cut it off. Hows about a Rally design quick shift job which has plenty of length to bend and rethread to the length you want, not sure if it brass though - its certainly chromed.

Bob :)

Actually, while we are on the subject - anyone got a link to someone that has installed the type 9 extension kit?  I'd like to see how much work / carnage is involved - bear in mind I've not had the carpet up yet so I have no idea what's underneath. If it's a case of remove carpet, cut new square hole closer, fit extension, cut new carpet hole, get girlfriend to patch up old hole left behind (she's good with a sewing machine)... then I might be up for it.

Bob - I looked at those. £50 notes and they are tapered, so if I cut and bent one, I'd not be able to cut/die a thread on the taper - I have no lathe. I can cut a thread on a straight bar of course.

I've seen these:

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1360_339&products_id=2009

Then I've seen this (gulp!! at the price)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quaife-Type9-5-Speed-Gearbox-Gear-Lever-Stick-R-J-SHORT-/120929315371?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c27f2ea2b

Then of course, this:

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=13487&osCsid=bl1tcj6ve74hk4vloaa64e8957

can you not just heat up and bend your old one or weld one up

That is what I would do.

Ditto, worked just fine. :)

One of these from quaife will sort you:

http://www.quaife.co.uk/shop/products/qge11z003-0

Edited: Just clicked on your ebay link and its the same.

If you cut, you dont need to thread the end, just get the original threaded end welded back on.

Instead of worrying about the threaded end and the taper, why not buy a grub screw type gear knob as are supplied in new kits.

There's one for sale on here for £12.

The Quaiffe one which they do for Caterham (and is available from Caterham for a reasonable sum) is a beatifully engineered piece of kit, and at a reasonable price. It is quite short though although cranked back, so quite a stretch if you don't have l.ong arms like mine. The quaiffe white nylon knob is good value (from same source) as well. 

When I bought mine from quaife was offered a a choice of long or short have quaife white gearknob in white you can have if you go down this route. I prefer the westfield one as it makes the gear lever assembly shorter if you push it on all the way. I have a duratec fitted with raceline enginemounts which sit engine further back than std wetfield ones hence no gear lever extension required.

IMG_0367_zps3a610f3c.jpg

Take the lever into the local garage and ask them to bend it for you. Then cut it to the length you want and carefully grind the taper to be straight. Run the die down it and job done.

You may be able to bend it yourself with a long tube if you have a vice to hold it.

I know it's not the correct method but needs must.

I bought a rally design lever,stripped it down heated it up and bent it into the correct position and reassembled.. Easy to do yourself .