A few questions before buying a kit

Nizztos

Hi all,

I'm planning on buying a Westfield kit real soon now .

I do however have a few questions as I'm a complete noob to these things.

First of, I'm from Sweden so our rules, while similar, differ a bit. For instance I can't have more power than 15kW/100kg weight of vehicle (including driver, tools and fluids). I also can't buy a complete kit as in order to pass our version of IVA the car has to be build "from scratch". We can get away with a body and frame, most of the time, from a kit but the rest we have to source/build on our own.

My plan is to build with a SAAB engine. That is a fairly tall engine and the builds I have seen have used the V8 bonnet. I will for sure use the FW body but will probably need the V8 bonnet. Does anyone know the difference between the FW bonnet and the V8 one when it comes to room for a tall engine? I.e. how much taller can an engine be under the V8 bonnet?`

I have seen pictures of the V8 bonnet fitted with the FW rear. Is that a standard fitment, as much as anything when it comes to these things, or are there things that has to be cut/changed to make that fit?

Are there hubs available with a different lug configuration? I know the default ones are 108/4 but I would really like to have 100/4. I know I can put spacers on there but it would be a chicken or egg kind of thing as I would not know the size of the spacers until I get the rims and I would not be able to fit them due to incorrect lug configuration.

I would like the best turning circle that I can get (this is not a track car and there will be city driving with tight parking spaces etc). Are there anything specific I should plan for or get to make that happen?

We don't have a requirement on de-misting/frosting of our windscreens in an open car. If I ever get a soft top it would be a half hood. Do I need/want the electric windscreen or is the standard better in this case?

Are there any rollbars other than the WF one that will fit decently on the FW rear without having to cut the boot?

Lots of questions, and I have lots more, but hopefully I will get at least a few of them answered.

/Martin

Hi Martin

I can help a little.

Try this for hubs to allow you to use your required 100/4 http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1597&products_id=12810

If 15kw/100kg is 20hp per 100kg in my understanding that is quite a small engine you will need ! Westies are very light :-)

Maybe you can pretend to be a heavy driver with lots of tools and a big petrol tank to allow you to have fun.

Afraid I don't know about the bodywork as mine is not FW.

If you want a good turning circle then wide track suspension is the obvious answer

As for the windscreen, i think you should try an aero screen !

The rollbars are not limited to Westfield - try a few suggestions from the forum.

Good Luck Jon

Welcome....

I know that another John from Manchester put a saab turbo (think from a 900) into a car; i think it was a bike engined chassis.... it just cleared with a normal bonnet

from what i can remember

i'm sure paul will post up in a second, to confirm or deny.

cheers

john

Hi Martin, possibly the easiest option for you to obtain a 4x100 stud configuration for the wheels is to use the Mazda SDV starter kit as your base for the project which uses MX5 hubs and uprights as opposed to Ford parts.

The downside of the Mazda kit however is that the mounting arrangement for the MX5's differential is different to that of the Sierra differentialused in the ford based cars, this means that you wont be able to use the FW rear body unless you either omitt the boot box, or fabricate yourself a custom fuel tank.

Hi all,

First of, I'm from Sweden so our rules, while similar, differ a bit. For instance I can't have more power than 15kW/100kg weight of vehicle (including driver, tools and fluids). I also can't buy a complete kit as in order to pass our version of IVA the car has to be build "from scratch". We can get away with a body and frame, most of the time, from a kit but the rest we have to source/build on our own.

/Martin

Martin

Welcome

Are you sure about this. There were a couple of chaps from Sweden that the factory directed to me to see an XTR2. They both bought complete kits?

Or do you mean you can't buy and register an already built car?

David

Thanks for the replies so far.

@6carjon: Will for sure get a windscreen. Not keen on aero screen. The weight of the driver and tools are unfortunately set at 70kg and 10kg. Although in my case I would need the tools to have negative weight to compensate..... Good to know about the wide track. The SAAB engine is the 2l turbo making 154bhp. I will most likely need to add some weights to the car so it is heavy enough to pass the test. 150 or so is basically the upper limit. I would say that most sevens made today are weighted at least a little bit during the weigh in process in order to pass.

@JohnWilliams: Are there differences in the chassis? I will most likely have a look at a SAAB build with V8 bonnets this weekend but I have no idea what the difference is between the bodies/bonnets so wont really help me much. Don't think the engine is in the car at this time either ......

@smokey mow: The 100/4 is not that important. I will not buy a SDV even though I'm a MX5 person. Unfortunately when this car is built I will have to part with my MX5 Mazdaspeed (one of two in Sweden).

@XTR2Turbo: Those would be track only cars. No need to register them for public roads so different rules. We also can't buy a finished car that has been built anywhere but in Sweden as the rules are not considered identical.

Martin,

Have you tried the factory for advice and ideas, they are probably a good source of base information and should understand the legal side also. My experience has been they have always been very helpful.

Rhett

Martin,

Have you tried the factory for advice and ideas, they are probably a good source of base information and should understand the legal side also. My experience has been they have always been very helpful.

Rhett

I will certanly do so although not sure if the "proper" channels are through the Swedish dealer. Still, I very much appreciate comments from unbiased sources. I'm sure WF are less likely to discuss 3rd party solutions for instance.

Could you build your car with a low powered engine for the Swedish IVA test and then later change to a higher powered engine. We in the UK are very sneaky and do anything to please the IVA tester and then upgrade the car to how we really want it.

I'm thinking of an MX5 donor and SDV kit, MX5 engines will just about be below the 15kw to 100kg. rule. Supercharge it later?

Could you build your car with a low powered engine for the Swedish IVA test and then later change to a higher powered engine. We in the UK are very sneaky and do anything to please the IVA tester and then upgrade the car to how we really want it. I'm thinking of an MX5 donor and SDV kit, MX5 engines will just about be below the 15kw to 100kg. rule. Supercharge it later?

I could....

But Swapping engines, or remove the SC, between each yearly inspection would be a pita that I don't fancy. It is a also a MUCH more expensive alternative. Without shopping around I can get the SAAB engine including programmable ECU and turbo for £400.

Since the SAAB engine is turbo charged it would be easy to increase boost IF I feel I need more power, I'm guessing the stock 150ish is plenty. The engine itself is good for about 300hp with no modifications and even if it did blow it is dirt cheap here. For 300hp I would need a new turbo but the stock is good for 250ish. (these number are from recollections of things I have read, could be wrong on the exact figures).

While I do prefer the drivability of NA or SC I don't think the difference is that big. Especially if I stay with low boost. The turbo will also help me with noise which is good since I'm a bit sensitive to loud noise.

Hello. Ive been on uksaabs for years. I know of at least 1 westy with a b204 with td04-19. I know the guy who mapped it. Let me know if u want me to put you in touch

Great British Sports Cars have a dealer in Sweden and I am sure they have sent complete kits out there. They may be able to offer you advice on the matter or they may be able to point your to their dealer who can offer you some advice. You don't have to tell them you are looking to build a Westfield.

Thanks for all the advice!

I do feel that we got bogged down in the "IVA" part. I should have skipped the paragraph about the difference between Swedish and UK rules. Especially the one about power that I just used as an example.

We have a small but thriving locost community, any seven type car is welcome, where also people from the organization that checks the cars for compliance are members. So the rules are not hard for me to understand and apply as they are frequently discussed there. As you can guess the hp rating is the one most frequently discussed where people have all kinds of good and bad ideas about how to "cheat the system" :)

Hello. Ive been on uksaabs for years. I know of at least 1 westy with a b204 with td04-19. I know the guy who mapped it. Let me know if u want me to put you in touch

Thanks for the offer. I have a colleague at work that is a SAAB-nut and he knows everything I will ever need to know about the engine :) Still wondering about clearance though. Would it fit under the FW bonnet or just under the V8 bonnet. I have not seen any figures on what the difference in clearance is between the different bonnets. There is a number in a FAQ-posting but I gather that is just the hight at the nose cone and the FW bonnet is not listed at all I think.

i'm sure paul will post up in a second, to confirm or deny.

Hellooo, did someone call me? :d

Welcome Martin from me too :t-up:

Yes 'John' put a Saab turbo engine in a bike chassis, I cant remember too much of the detail, but he had a lot of engineering work done on the chassis.

He also got loads of information from a group of very freindly Swedish guys about the engine, maybe they are members of your Locost group?