SS 1st timer questions

Dodgey

So do we book events directly with the local organisers rather than with the SS organisers?

Yes, very much so. During the time I have been comp sec, it has changed from me producing labels to send out to clubs to emailing regs out, to now most of the regs being available on-line. So a very important page for you is here http://www.wscc.co.uk/regs.htm this links you to the club organising the event and their regs, which you download and fill in. Some like Liverpool and ourselves have on-line applications. Please don;t be offended when you have to then sign a disclaimer form when you actually sign on for the meeting.

Hope that all helps

Nick

Thanks. Should be fun as 2 of the most popular (CC and Ty Croes) are 2 of the 5 "in range" for me :-) 

Some very good advice to the new guys on here. With regards to spend, you have to have a helmet, suit and gloves anyway before you can compete. Boots as well if you can. After that most of the expense comes from entry fees and travel / accomodation costs.

If you can afford it after you have taken the above it into cosideration, the best thing to spend money on is the best set of tyres you can afford.to suit your class in my opinion. In your first year, this is not however a necessity

My tip - again;

If there is an event that you really really really want to attend - find out which club is organising it (via our entry regs prepared by Nick) and get on to their website - some of them offer the ablity to sign up to "prompts" others are a bit more basic.  If you keep an eye on their website, you stand a good chance of getting an early sighting  of the entry regs for the event you are after.  :)

Or another option is to join the organising club, and ensure an entry

Club members normaly have priority when it comes to entries and quite often receive a disscount, which may go some way to offset your joining fee

Can get a bit expensive though if you intend to do a full season

:(