• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

SS 1st timer questions

Dodgey

With all due respect guys, and Annie, this post was about a first timer asking a few simple questions after reading some of posts he'd be forgiven for thinking he needs a £30K plus car and a £10K per season budget, Maybe he does. :down:

I'm convinced this is exactly why entries in the Speed Series are falling year on year. I've been around motorsport for over 40 years and have seen club formula come and go and the ones that have lasted are those that control costs. Until the Speed Series can have at least some classes with regulations that strictly control costs and enforce those regulations we will continue to see falling entries.

God I'm starting to sound like Mid Life Crisis so let’s get on with trying to help people get into sprinting rather than frightening them away.

I agree, but unlike you, I have slightly less history in motorsport. Only 35 years!

All I can say Martin it was a privilage to compete in the 2006/ 2007 seasons with the likes of you, Mark, Paul, Rob and the many other drivers in similar genuine roadgoing westfields, who sadly no longer compete in the Speed Series.

Over 2006 and 2007 I only spent about £400.00 on the car in two rolling road sessions, a fuel pump and I think 34.00 per corner on shaved Toyo T1r tyres through the Toyo sponsership deal. Which I ran for two seasons

Sadly things have moved on :down:

Still can't believe you beat me in 2007 at Curborough though by 1-100 of a sec. Worst still, I like you still have the video of the event and can see where I lost the time :( :( :(

My budget will also be tight. Sleeping in the back of the Landy or a tent.

they'll always be a few sleeping in vans or tents the night before, sadly my racing budget doesn't stretch to anything more than a small tent as like many others but it does all adds the the social side. Make yourselves known to any other westfield campers the night before and if it's a nice evening sit out under the stars with them sharing a tinny and a burger.

With all due respect guys, and Annie, this post was about a first timer asking a few simple questions after reading some of posts he'd be forgiven for thinking he needs a £30K plus car and a £10K per season budget, Maybe he does. :down:

I'm convinced this is exactly why entries in the Speed Series are falling year on year.  I've been around motorsport for over 40 years and have seen club formula come and go and the ones that have lasted are those that control costs.  Until the Speed Series can have at least some classes with regulations that strictly control costs and enforce those regulations we will continue to see falling entries. 

God I'm starting to sound like Mid Life Crisis so let’s get on with trying to help people get into sprinting rather than frightening them away.

I think it just shows how threads can drift. In fairness, the O/P did ask what list 1B tyre was the one to have. And I simply tried to answer that question. That inevitably involved the question of whether he had only one set of wheels or had (or could afford to get) a second set. I made no assumptions as to budget, and gave 2 alternative answers, one for each scenario.

There are still plenty of guys competing on relatively modest budgets, although inevitably if you can't afford to spend or chose not to, then you will find it much harder to get a class award. But if you only compete if you think you can win your class there wouldn't be many competitors, regardless of how big or small the "necessary" budget was. One of the advantages of sprinting is that you can set your own goals and targets, and have much fun achieving them. If that doesn't "float your boat" then fine, but that surely isn't a reason to knock those who have a different viewpoint to you.

if you can't afford to spend or chose not to, then you will find it much harder to get a class award. But if you only compete if you think you can win your class there wouldn't be many competitors, regardless of how big or small the "necessary" budget was. One of the advantages of sprinting is that you can set your own goals and targets, and have much fun achieving them. If that doesn't "float your boat" then fine, but that surely isn't a reason to knock those who have a different viewpoint to you.

Well that sums it up Martin ??? ??? ???

I think (not sure yet) that I'll plump for some new tyres. I'm still unsure about my A539's - they are fine once they have warmed up but it takes some time, and they are a balanced tyre which I don't need as I never choose to drive in the wet. But again, I have to remind myself this will be about learning, not winning anything so I really have to "need" new tyres to discard my current nearly new set! (they came with the car)

As for camping - I've got a Mazda Bongo camper which is my towing vehicle - with a big fridge! :-)  -  so if the weather is nice, and it's a particularly good meet, then I'll travel further to do an extra event or two. (do tell me if any particular events are "not to be missed" events)

Dodgey I would save your hard earned and run the tyres you have at least untill you have done a couple of events ;)

and they are a balanced tyre which I don't need as I never choose to drive in the wet

It does quite often rain at SS events and 888's can be quite interesting in the wet

:d :d :d :d

do tell me if any particular events are "not to be missed" events)

Don't miss the WSCC Curborough and Blyton, will be more Westfield's on track than any other meeting and great chance to meet all the other Speed Series people.

Other than that the one weekend liked by most people is the Ty Croes event 31 Aug / 1st Sept.

Excellent! - Ok - will keep the tyres , and will definitely make Ty Croes/Anglesea, and hopefully Curborough. Blyton is a touch too far.

Another two worth considering which are a tad closer to you are Shelsley Walsh

Don't be put off by the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaPomrnhzHk

also

http://www.shelsley-walsh.co.uk/

and Lowton Park

and

http://www.hdlcc.com/loton_park.php

Not an SS event but if you get the chance

http://www.furryfeet.tv/cotswolds/venue_video.php?id=280&footprint=

:)

Don't be put off by the video

Well if that doesn't put him off, nothing will, Shelsley Walsh in all it's Gory detail.  :o  ???  :suspect:

That's more like it  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Shelsley may be unforgiving, but it's a real buzz when you get it right  :love:  :love:

think i will be giving that one a miss to start with