SS 1st timer questions

Dodgey

Soft spot for Shelsley :love:  fab track as Nick said, if all goes well :)

Truly frightning in the wet though :( :(

With all due respect guys, and Annie, this post was about a first timer asking a few simple questions.....

Sorry, I was just trying to explain that, in my experience, it is possible to do a complete season of sprints and hillclimbs (together with a couple of thousand of road miles) on a single set of the 'current fashion' 1B black circular things without going to the expense of two sets of wheels and tyres. Do you realise how many pairs of shoes you can buy for the cost of 4 wheels/tyres?

Dodgey says, "Begrudgingly spend £400 on 888's. I took her out yesterday in the cold and slid sideways overtaking someone on a straight, on the dry." We all are nervous about 888s, 048s, ZZRs, V70s in the cold/wet but is it worth asking what pressures he is running them at? In my short competition history it seems to be a fairly regular mistake for newcomers to run tyres at too high a pressure. At one Loton event Mike convinced an Elise driver (who was new to hillclimbs and complaining of "no grip") to drop the pressures in his Kumhos by 8psi and he took over 5 seconds off on his next run.

Grannie Annie.

I'm running at around 18 I think. When they are warm they are great, but it takes a while to get them warm. Plus - I'm getting used to my new lower ratio diff, which is requiring me to be a little more respectful with my right foot between gear changes from 1-2 particularly....

Fifan - I'm not going to avoid any particular events. I intend to drive well within my limits (i.e. I'll appear very slow to most spectators) . I've seen many a Westie/Charterham pootle up Wiscombe at a quite leisurely pace - clearly beginners. I never thought any less of them, in fact, the opposite - thinking, "well done for trying! I must try this too!".  If you want to see really slow cars hill climbing then go to Wiscombe on an Aston Martin owners club day :--p   (though one guy did bury his Aston so deep in the woods they left the car there for the rest of the day as it was too hard to get too!)

Very nice! Shows a good mix of faster and slower, BECs (if I'm not mistaken) and CECs. Can't wait ! :-) 

I think those were mostly CECs. For info many of those cars are on Kuhmos. The point I was trying to make was no that you needs loads of different sets of tyres or expensive cars etc. - but too often I see a new entry to sprinting and they brought a nice new set of ok trackday or road tyres and immediately putting themselves at the biggest disadvantage - grip.

Some years ago the SS tried to introduce control tyre manufacture with Toyo. This was as popular as fart at a wedding - but ultimately tyres do have a big effect.

If I was making a recommendation - it would be come and see what its all about - do a few rounds in your car as it is. If you want to buy new tyres for your car before you try a few rounds - I would advise 13' Super Soft ZZRs from BMTR for your spec of car as IMHO with the lower power these will work better than the Kuhmos.

I started sprinting a long time ago - first year did a handful of events in the car with no changes at all. Next years upgrade was loosing carpets and new tyres.... 12 years later its a bit different though.

Chris Bennet started sprinting this year. He has a very standard road car 1600 which he drives to events. This was on 10yr A539 tyres. He wont his class (A), had a great time and will be out next year. Having done a good few laps in his car the only thing it needed was a fresh set of boots, and I suspect this will be next years upgrade with 1B tyres been allowed. Uncle Barry will also be cutting anything off the car it doesnt need to carry around.

Black car, with cage.

silver ali front mudguards

running second car on video, after Mike Allard in ACWs car

number 103 i think

Stu is the one showing off his car control getting all a bit sqiffy, but keeping his foot in.