SS 1st timer questions

Dodgey

Hi - I've read the various faqs and the 2013 SS regs. A couple of questions

- As a total novice, and hoping to spend as little as possible - I assume I'll be in class A (I have a 1600cc narrow, in standard road trim)? 

- I see there is no special class regarding aero screens etc, or the most basic of tyres (1A I think), which I'm sure I read about last year. This means, I assume, I'm going to have to buy an aeroscreen, plus some 888's?    I'm sure I read there was a class where you could only have a standard screen and basic tyres - was that last year?  This will otherwise make my 1st foray into sprinting a touch more costly.

p.s. do people manage to regularly swap their standard road screen with an aero screen without much hassle and damage? I really don't want an aero screen for day to day use. (I'm assuming I'll severely handicap myself if I dont' use an aeroscreen?)

- MSA licenses renew each year I believe in December?- do I buy mine on Jan 1? 

Any other tips gratefully received

p.s. I have car/camper and trailer, total novice with 2 track days behind me. I plan to travel as far as Midlands/North Wales and as far South West as needed (Somerset based) - so I'll be looking at 5 to 10- events I guess.

For this Comming year the speed series rules have been tweeked a bit from previous years to allow both list 1a and 1b tyres into classes A and B. this gives you the choice to use either, so if you're looking to save some money then you don'thave to change tyres if you dont want to. In my first year I had to switch tyres for each sprint as my road tyres were inelegable for class A, in the second year I opted instead to run in one of the higher classes where I could use them. Under these new rules I can now run the same tyre on the road and the track in class A so that should save me a fair amount of time in the garage.

Screens in all classes are optional. You have the choice of either running an aeroscreen or a full screen. again I shall be sticking with my screen because thats what I use on the road, I'm not fast enough yet for the screen to be that much of a handicap.

IMO and from my experience from getting started in sprinting. don't waste any money on the car at this stage, other than obvious safety critical items. just concentrate on driving it, and working in improving your lines and braking points.

Dodgey

Last year's "screen + 1A" rule attracted very (very, very) few competitors  --  so it was widened.

But, I must echo Smokey. If you are going to spend any money, spend it on your safety. Otherwise, drive your car in road trim. You won't win much, but neither (probably) would you if you spent serious money on the car prior to your first season  ---  we've all been there in our first year. What you will do is garner invaluable experience of the capabilities of both yourself and your car. You'll also have a lot of fun  --  and make many new friends who will gladly help you with tips on driving and car set-up. Next winter, you'll be in a much better position to upgrade sensibly if you wish.

HTH  --  and look forward to seeing you on track . . . .  :)

Dodgey, yes you have a major handicap running your set up, and by quite a large margin against "1B" tyres and aeroscreens especially with the power you will be putting down,

As Smokey has pointed out though you are probably not going to be competitive in your first year of campaigning. Each track you visit is going to be new to you, and even through walking the course the perspective and lines are very different when you are behind the wheel.

Use this year to learn the tracks and take every opportunity to drive on them, on average you will be lucky if you have 10 min driving time at an SS event. If they are local and have track days "do them"

Dodgey, i'm the same mate - see you in the paddock I hope - Northampton/Yeovil based so likely we will be at same events. :-) James 

Dodgey apply for your licence asap, they run Jan-Dec, lots of good advice on here from the guys, I did a couple of events last year and enjoyed every minute, maybe see you next year.

Pete

MSA Non-race Nat B license on the way!

Where do I sign up for the Speed series - can't find a link anywhere?

EDIT:;  Found it at the end of the regs!

So... now... I've read the noobie faqs but any general preparatory advice would be very much appreciated...

So far my list of things to do / have done, are:

- Nomex suit - done - I have a Sparco job , on the back is "FIA" logo with Norme 1986/1986 Standard, 06.201.CSAI.87  - I believe the 1986 standard is the important bit. Did loads of reading but ended up more confused than ever as some say suits expire, but most say they don't. (if you see my walking around stopping forward then that's because I bought one size too small and if I straighten up I get a camel toe (pig trotter?).

- Snell helmet and nomex gloves yet to buy. Easy enough.

- timing strut - any tips?

- second spring on throttle.

- Oil catch tank - done.

- Sticker top point which way ignition is off - to do.

- Begrudgingly spend £400 on 888's. I took her out yesterday in the cold and slid sideways overtaking someone on a straight, on the dry.

too cold for r888's i believe - i think i heard they shouldnt be used under 10 degree's but i stand to be corrected....

If you can wait a few weeks I believe we'll be able to pay for our speed series membership in the on line store again as we did last year.

For timing struts you can either make one yourself from a bit of aluminium bent and painted matt black or alternatively if your lazy and feeling flush you can buy one from Caterham.

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=1936

Btw - (I appreciate 888's are no good for winter) - are they pretty much the only choice for competition? Bearing in mind there is no way I'll actually be competitive this year (I'll be racing against myself I guess) - then perhaps there is a better 1A/1B tyre choice that would be cheaper and better all rounders on the road - my car is very much road going. Maybe T1Rs (or R1Rs?).

The timing strut I'll make - I assume there is no set distance from the bodywork - i.e. you are timed starting from the front and finishing when the same front crosses another beam?

p.s. James - is this your 1st stab at this too?

The timing strut I'll make - I assume there is no set distance from the bodywork - i.e. you are timed starting from the front and finishing when the same front crosses another beam?

That's correct.  What's important is that when the car is viewed in silhouette from both sides you can see all of the rectangular area of the timing strut and that none of it is obstructed or masked by the body work or wheels etc.

hey Dodgey, yep it will be my first season sprinting/hill climbing.  I have dabbled in trials driving (sporting,classic and production cars) since the late 80's but have now found a nice car that Martin Parkes ran for many years.  I'm writing a blog (when i get time) to try and help others.  I went to Sprint School with the WSCC at Curborough this year and loved it.  My car came with AO48's and some "road wheels" with quite old tyres on - have since found these to be lethal on the highway.  The aggressive sticky tyres are very good in the dry and can give decent grip in the damp if you can get some warmth into them.  I wouldnt be running on sticky tyres in wet or cold conditions as i wpould end up in a ditch or whacking a kerb.  

I'm not sure what tyres others are running in the road legal classes and will be just using what i have to save cost.

TTFN

James 

Cool. I've zero experience - should be amusing :-)

Looking at the list of events I'll probably be a 5'er - too many are too far for me. Ones that make sense are:

Castle Combe

Gurston Down Hill

Wiscombe double (effectively my "local")

...maybe....Shelsley ... bit far

...maybe Pembrey....bit far

Llandow

...maybe Ty Croes (which I believe to be Anglesea?) - it's a fair slog but if I can tie it in with a track day then it'll be worth it. Love the look of the track

The list 1B tyre of choice for sprinting/hillclimbing in something like a Westfield is (or at least has been in the last 2 seasons) the Khumo V70A in super soft rubber, however, you couldn't use those for trackdays as they'd be wrecked after 3 or 4 laps on a warm day. Also, if you use your car much on the road your tyres wouldn't last very long!

The ideal of course is to have 2 sets of wheels, and tyres for sprinting on one set, and harder rubber tyres for road and trackday use. Obviously that is quite a bit of extra expense, so the alternative would be to use a list 1B tyre in harder rubber, and the Toyo 888 would be an ideal choice for that, in either medium/hard rubber (GG) or medium/soft (GGG). The medium/soft might be a bit too soft on trackdays if you like to drive lots of laps on a warm sunny day however, depending how hard you push the car of course.

Just MHO of course!! :d  :d