Electrical problems

housebuilder

I had all my lights working but noticed the rear drivers light was out.

I thought it was my dodgy connecter crimping but all is sound.

I have sinced noticed that the indicator is also out as is the number plate light.

bizzarely the fog light works and so does the brakelight which is in the same led unit as the rear light.

swapping the power over the rear light works when wired up to the brakelight circuit so I can rule out earthing issues.

do I fear the worst and start looking for damaged wires right along the loom?

unplug the rear connector and check with voltmeter

Had problems with my rear lights at various stages too Housebuilder.

If you have had them working at one stage, it's unlikely to be the loom. My faults lay in bad connections within the connector blocks. Redoing them worked for me.

Andy

There is definately no power there. Mate borrowed the voltmeter hence the wire swap to check the unit. Will check when I get my tools back. grrr. The fact they were working makes me wonder whether i have caught a few wires somewhere as it seems odd that the rear light, indicator and number plate light have all gone at the same time.

fuse board is next check. .have know them to be corroded up.

The offside tail and number plate light are on the same circuit I believe. (fuse 2 set A). not sure why this would effect the indicator though.

Thanks both.

Fuses all ok and tested fine.

no to number plate light or indicator or rear light on drivers side showing on the voltmeter.

despite ten miles of convoluted tubing and only two runs up the drive its hard to think it can be anything other than damage

only thing i have done to the car that i can think of before noticing the light is finishing the tunnel and trim.

I suppose carpet out and a look to make sure Ihaven't caught anything with a stray drill or rivet would be the palce to start?

cheers

Yep, the old one step forwards and two back syndrome.

Sounds like it would be worth a look, particularly if that's the last job you did before they stopped working.

Electrics can definitely be one of the most challenging and infuriating parts of the build....

Good luck with it

cheers

can't believe it was all working only to have this problem! I really can't remember whether it was working after the trim fit or not but it seems a logical place to start

sorry to hear about the test particularly as I saw a post somewhere where an Inspector said he had never known a kit car have self centering steering before giving it a pass!

I heard somewhere that keeping the tyre pressure low might help?

Thanks, disappointed - but could have been worse, plus my retest will be an evening next week, so might just get there this year yet!!!

I have been doing some work on it tonight, it's on the IVA thread, but tyre pressure and toe adjustment seem to be the way forward!!

Can't see anything obvious.

lot's of head scratching but no fix.

anyone got any ideas?

thanks

If you have any spare cable i would test the continuity of each wire one by one full length

ideally checking the resistance of the circuit, as might even be cable that has been crimped against the insulation only

Do you work in London? as i could lend you a tool that adds a pulse to the cable, and you can use a probe to listen for the pulse, you just trace the cable length and when the beep stops the break is there ;-)