fingerman

SteveD

Looks to me like Vergne backed off pretty much forcing the pass.

He shouldn't even be attempting a pass under yellow - Vergne should be backing off under yellows, thats the rules. Unless vergne was backing off because he was pulling off the track, then Vettel needed to stay behind until after the green light, he didn't.

certainly looks incriminating from the video and the yellow flag lights on his wheel too.

I bet nothing comes of it though

Will be interesting to see what happens and what the FIA do, it could be a very weighty decision to make

He shouldn't even be attempting a pass under yellow - Vergne should be backing off under yellows, thats the rules. Unless vergne was backing off because he was pulling off the track, then Vettel needed to stay behind until after the green light, he didn't.

More to it I think but could be wrong. Vergne is tight up behind someone in previous corner and then ends up >100m behind them after a short straight, he clearly backed off more than was needed. He may well back up the view that there was a green shown from marshal post on LHS half way down that straight and that's why he backed off to let Vettel pass.

More to it I think but could be wrong. Vergne is tight up behind someone in previous corner and then ends up >100m behind them after a short straight, he clearly backed off more than was needed. He may well back up the view that there was a green shown from marshal post on LHS half way down that straight and that's why he backed off to let Vettel pass.

I know what you're saying, but regardless of the amount Vergne backed off, Vettel shouldn't have made the pass until he saw the green light. The rule is very clear, its not up to vettel to decided how much another car should back off...for all Vettel knows, Vergne was backing off to avoid debris on the track which was the reason for the yellow light, Vettel should have stayed behind and not been alongside as he also removed Vergne's available space to avoid debris which would have been unsighted to Vettel.

If I had done the same on a track day I would have been shown the black flag.

I really can't see how Vettel can retain the title without making a mockery of F1.

Lets face it , the guy can walk on water , If there ever was such an enquiry and seeing how much is at stake commercially , it wouldn't take long for RB's legal Dept to jump into max defence mode

I think Ferrari went down the wrong route with this protest , better off protesting Vettel's lap one collision when he took Senna out , a certain penalty for sure :t-up:

That's what I thought - lucky to escape any serious damage and/or penalty - he just turned into the apex without thinking IMO

Rory's Dad

I think Ferrari went down the wrong route with this protest , better off protesting Vettel's lap one collision when he took Senna out , a certain penalty for sure :t-up:

I think the point with that is that they couldn't really protest it, as that kind of thing is subjective to the stewards on the day. They had obviously seen the incident and had decided there was no case to answer, whereas there has been other drivers penalised for less by a different set of stewards on different days.

At a base level the offence was moving across the track and causing an accident with another car - was this not what Grosjean got a once-race ban for at Spa? Obviously the outcome of Grosjean's actions was much more serious, but was it not somewhat the same offence? I'm not saying fingers should be banned, but perhaps some degree of penalty was appropriate? Would the Spa stewards have penalised?