Pinto In A Westfield

Atlas12v

Not a easy to get hold of here in cowboy country..got the 1.9 from the states and reworked a1.6 hemi head to accept a 1.9 high lift cam.

Good bit of work there. Why not go V8 route... Chevy engine or sommin?

I'm guessing that a generalisation and comparison would be wives... Hear me out!

You look at what other people have got and you consider a few options. Have what you'd really dream of if there was no compromise or issue. Look at what you sensibly could live with and what you're personal taste is... But at the end of the day it's what's available to yourself that you end up with.

You'll like the pops and bangs of the pinto, then grow bored of maintenance.

You'll like the refinement of the zetec, but it's hard to find and expensive to upgrade.

But it's the duratec that you'd get if money wasn't an issue... But then miss the pops and bangs of the pinto. So the circle starts all over again. Go with what you can get, stick with it and look at what you have and the others haven't. Never what they have and you don't.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that a generalisation and comparison would be wives... Hear me out!

You look at what other people have got and you consider a few options. Have what you'd really dream of if there was no compromise or issue. Look at what you sensibly could live with and what you're personal taste is... But at the end of the day it's what's available to yourself that you end up with.

You'll like the pops and bangs of the pinto, then grow bored of maintenance.

You'll like the refinement of the zetec, but it's hard to find and expensive to upgrade.

But it's the duratec that you'd get if money wasn't an issue... But then miss the pops and bangs of the pinto. So the circle starts all over again. Go with what you can get, stick with it and look at what you have and the others haven't. Never what they have and you don't.

Are you seriously comparing me to a car engine?!!!!!!!

I suppose at least you haven't said I'm old and knackered!!!!!

The cutch on a Busa is difficult in slow traffic and hill starts but the blade is fine.

The cutch on a Busa is difficult in slow traffic and hill starts but the blade is fine.

In my naivety I classed all BEC's in the same kinda set up and didn't think there would be much of a difference. However I thought about sequential gear stick mounted clutch lever, from a bike. So left hand on clutch duty, not left foot. Be difficult at first, but left foot braking would be easier!

Pretty happy with what I have got, on the last couple of blats where the V6 turbo cars were involved, they had me off the line but once we hit the middle range I was staying with them no problem, the difference in torque as compared to my old 1.6 is night and day.

Now the penny's dropped on who the OP is (morning Steve :) ) the question about the pinto would be in relation to purchasing his first Westfield, rather than engine transplants etc, which my advice would be that a pinto would be a great first Westfield. Like Mark says, you can always swap the pinto that's in it for a more powerful when funds and availability arises.

Having never been in a pinto'd engine Westfield, do they make the same glorious sound that a xflow on webers does? :love: :love:

Now if anyone wants a Pinto engine I just happen to have one going with carbs and everything :d :d :d

The Duratec looks much nicer in it's place :laugh::yes::d

How are they hard to find. Always plenty of used ones in local yards and on e-bay plus for a few pounds more you can get a brand spanking Blacktop.

Not expensive to upgrade at all, pair of cams and some porting will see 200 bhp, a little more if its injected. Like any engine going beyond that sort of figure will cost a packet.

A much as I like the Zetec if I was building a new car today I would fit a Duratec.

Now the penny's dropped on who the OP is (morning Steve :) )

Afternoon Leigh,

Yes the questions are still stemming from my first purchase research... Slowly beginning to think I missed out on the best car for my budget recently :cry:

I love everything about my pinto, solid, simple, pops, bangs, annoys small dogs and the neighbours. Impossible to make leak free but the perfect antidote to my daily tdi tin top.

loved my old pinto and really was sorry to see it go. I have a duratec now which really is a different animal, better engine and more tuneable.

Whatever you have just enjoy it.

having bought a ford engined car with a x-flow, and having been in Kirky Boys Pinto I would say they are a great first westy.... cheap bits, easy to have work done on and make a nice noise :-)

I'm another Pinto lover. It's obviously not the engine of choice nowadays, but a good un installed in a Westy will still make it a quick car. :)

Mine has a sort of regular throbbing sound from the carbs at certain revs, and a good deal of popping on the overrun - especially on track days when the exhaust system gets really hot.