Pinto In A Westfield

Atlas12v

Seems that use of Pinto engines is one of the less common engine options.

Is there a reason for this?

I have heard they're quite a heavy engine, is this true and why they're less common?

Opinions welcome.

Thanks

It's probably because the Pinto is now quite an old engine and hard to come by compared with more modern power units. I have a Pinto but my car was built in 1992. These days the pole position option is a Duratec, with others such as Zetec and Vauxhall 2.0l engines being cheaper options.

The Pinto is a weighty engine - about the same as a Rover V8 but it's very tough and can be tuned to >150bhp fairly easily.

Other opinions are available... :p

They're not the lightest engine in the world, but can certainly be tuned to give good performance in a westfield. The reason you won't see lots about is simply age tbh, most people building new cars go for more modern engines and a few fair older cars have been upgraded to Duratecs etc (the exhaust is on the same side). Same for the old crossflow, good engine, just getting on a bit.

Leigh

Pinto and Ford X flows were the most common engines in Westfields in the 80's & 90's, Things have moved on now, kit Car engines have to be tuneable and plentiful hence Zetecs, XE's, Mazda MX5 and Duratecs are the norm.

Unless you are a crazy old fart like me and put a 1.9 cvh in there.

They were very common, and still plently about. I had a 2.1 pinto Westy about 8 yrs ago and it was fine - I wouldn't buy one now though. Why would anyone build a pinto engined car now? Newer engines can be had for less money, which are more reliable, more powerful, smoother and weigh less. Quite a few people that have transplanted a VX/Zetec/Duratech into an old Xflow/Pinto/CVH car. In fact my CVH will be coming out this winter to be replaced with a Zetec.

One advantage of a Pinto engine is if the cambelt breaks, no damage to the valve gear or pistons.

i had a pinto in my previous car and it had a T3 turbo on it, 167BHP. was one hell of a monster... then it popped, i was doing a decent speed in the fast lane of the A38 down in devon and next thing i couldn't see the steering wheel let alone windscreen or road!

but whole time i had the car i was wanting to get a 2.0 red top or 1800 zetec. i now have a 1800 zetec in another car and i can assure you that it's far better. 155 bhp and seems a lot faster and revs much quicker and whole car feels lighter and more nimble.

pinto's are getting a bit old the newer engines are been much better than the a-series' and pinto's i've had in the past.

oh, also did a westfield day and one was 2.0 duratec, other 1800 zetec. i was only westie owner and everyone preferred the 1800 zetec, i did as well. but mine's a 1800 zetec. only on out of the 9 people wanted to use the 2.0 duratec.

Unless you are a crazy old fart like me and put a 1.9 cvh in there.

Why not 1800 zetec or 2.0 redtop?

well many other engines out there! lol

However........pintos are derigger for the stock car crowd and tuned to the nuts. As they upgrade to duratecs, then their well tuned, reliable race engines come up for sale.....quite cheap. Tis the upgrading season, so worth hunting around on the various forum boards and asking if you are so interested.

Liam did this, got an 800 mile engine making over 160 bhp and pulled like a train, for cheaps....

I really liked the torque, rattles, pops and bangs from my old Pinto. Great, basic, agricultural engineering (says he who now has a supercharged Jap motor :d )

Why not 1800 zetec or 2.0 redtop?

well many other engines out there! lol

Not a easy to get hold of here in cowboy country..got the 1.9 from the states and reworked a1.6 hemi head to accept a 1.9 high lift cam.

Did I hear someone suggest a blade engine? Around 190bhp ( 165bhp at wheels) in standard form and it comes with 8 injectors, and gearbox etc

Did I hear someone suggest a blade engine? Around 190bhp ( 165bhp at wheels) in standard form and it comes with 8 injectors, and gearbox etc

But clutch and no reverse limits the use...

I considered a mega busa, but after driving one I could see myself bouncing off sommin in a carpark or traffic.