Your Favourite Singer

Norman Verona

My collection includes many other singers that will catch your attention. Problem is they are not known outside the Yorkshire folk singing circle.

One of the voices I like, but maybe because my friend played in the band, was Elton John. The early years.

I have every Bob Dylan album ever produced but that's more about lyric than voice.

Carly Simon is good but rich girls (she the daughter of Simon from Simon & Shuster the New York book publishers) can't always be taken serious. Son of a gun.

Another real voice is, of course, Joan Baez. HM doesn't normally like my music (she just doesn't understand John Coltrain & Mile Davis) but I dragged her to Nottingham to see Joan live a few years ago and she began to understand.

I'm off now (if you believe that, you'll believe anything) to listen to more Ella.

And that's made me think (always dangerous) does everyone know who I'm talking about when I say "Ella"?

Answers on a post please.

Oh, you mean Ella Fitzwollop, she used to live down our street.....

Joan Baez's voice is excrutiatingly fragile. I am on edge waiting for the inevitable imperfection - it never happens. Kate Rusby is perfect at her genre, as was Ella, Otillie Paterson (sp?), Cleo Laine, and many others. Anna Netrebko as Violetta makes me cry... Why limit yourselves with one favourite?

A taste of the exquisite Netrebko as Mimi in la Boheme:

I'm not sure I've ever been a fan of a anyone that you'd call a technically great singer. Most of the bands I've always liked have been a bit 'shouty'. To that end Dave Grohl!

MOTCO, agree about Joan Baez. However her early stuff was far more robust than the singing over the last 20 years.

You've all already mentioned some great voices, and I'd add Katie Mellua and Dido to that list on the female side on my list, and Debbie Harry when she sang "Rapture" makes me melt. But for me, it's kind of hard to separate as the lyrics are so important. I'm sure there are singers out there who are wonderful, but if the lyrics are rubbish, that side of my brain switches off.

Ella...wasn't she the woman who married the baddie in the Star Wars films and became Ella Vader?

Carole King? 'You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman' is, for me, one of the most suggestive songs ever written. "Come'n'geddit" in song! She isn't beautiful, but she's very sexy - even now.

Then (1971) aged 29

and now (2009) aged 67