• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Should forums be more secure

Fat Arnie

In light of the happenings on Blatchat which resulted in a shutdown of the site yesterday evening, and considering that quite a few Blatchatters are now on the Boardroom (which is also potentially open to similar abuse) I propose a serious poll.

This poll maybe on the lovely Westfield forum (because polls are as unavailable on Blatchat as Blatchat itself is right now)

Objective is to determine what people get out of these sites and identify what can be done in order to more securely police, and to more actively keep content relavant.  So check the box below which most appropiately reflects your feeling on this subject.

Before proceeding to casting you vote consider the following:

1) Forums such as the Boardroom and Blatchat are run by volunteers. To individually authenticate each application for a user id is an unmanageable overhead.

2) An accurate method of tracking users is required. IP addresses alone are not practical as ISP's are generally unhelpful in the event of a id trace.  Some even keep no records - BT Click when it was free for example!

I am going to detail my ideas below as the actual poll section does not allow full descriptions... so from the top:

1. I really do not care what is posted, and as a member of a motor club with a public forum I would never consider myself at risk of an libel claim or costs associated with it as a result of postings in that forum.

2. Free browsing of the site, but access to any email address, hyperlink or to post requires payment of an annual subscription charge (in addition to club membership, but not a huge amount). Should give us the ability to track users ID's and if subscriptions were only accepted by credit card then card number and billing address would enable us to prevent the user re-subscribing if the original user account were disabled.

3. Leave the sites as they are and accept the massive outages which occur due to recoding of the site to try to prevent such inappropriate occurances

4. I think these forums are litiguously dangerous, and as I could lose my house on the back of a fellow members posting I'm prepared to do without them.

I nearly fell off me chair.......

Top job Fat Arn [thumbs up]

I don't know the law regarding libel and how it effects bulletin boards like these, but you raise some interesting points.

Your ideas regarding access to a BB are well put, and it's something I may well ask of our Committee. I am mindful of any libel action only succeeding if the comments were proved to be false, or, as happened, someone deliberately posts something which the site administrator had already agreed to take out of the public domain. I still can't believe some-one in "our" little community would be so stupid, and if it was repeated here, I'm sure the same thing would have to happen. But lets not get carried away. This is the first time I recall a BB being completely taken down because of the threat of legal action. Considering the nature and freedom of access, (to say nothing of the potential for mischief making) I think that the vast majority of users are sensible when contributing, so I have voted to leave them as they are. Increased "tracking" is an appealing idea though, and one which the webmaster and the committee will read and discuss. If not, I'll be havin' a word.............If you're quiet, I think you'll hear 'em all groaning.......

;)  ;)

Thx Blatters,

The one point I ommited, is that even if the points made against a 3rd party are absolutely true and correct, the legal cost of defending these facts may well be a liabilty to the membership.  If a Gorman vs Demon occurred in the L7C, each member COULD have a potential liabilty for legal costs of £100.  Liabilties against the claim in a similar case might only be £5 however.....

My feeling is that, broadly speaking, the forums should remain as they are, i.e. you can read all you like but if you want to post a message you have to register.

The subscription process could be a little tighter, though I'm at a loss to think of a practical way of doing that to be honest.  Charging a fee is an excellent way of obtaining details, but it may put off the occasional poster or those who are uncomfortable with the idea of providing CC details over the interweb.

Legal issues aside, the main problem with any forum is that there may be views or opinions expressed which cause offence or are, shall we say, problematic for the people running the forum.  Let's not forget the Big Brother episode(s) on the old Westfield Boardroom....  Some form of administrator control that bars people from posting again might be a good idea, although once the damage has been done it's often hard to undo.

Could the Club (either one) argue that the comments are the property or view of the individual.................I realise we're into the "disclaimers" notice that we and Blatchat have, but if they can't be drawn upon in a defence of the Club, why have them? If they aren't worth the pixels they're written on, can they not be construed as misleading, or worse, lead to a case of false declaration of intent or somesuch.

Where's AVES when you need him?

Agreed Nick,

The biggest issue is the time it takes to develop an app which is bulletproof.  I think bringing in 10 SAP consultants to build a robust solution is a little out of the L7C's financial league. (Oh God is that defamation - is SAP robust or not.....)

The CC companies have wised up a lot to internet fraud.  Most of it allegedly results from card detail being stolen when the card is used for a "customer present" transaction.

Using a CC and charging a moderate fee - who would argue about £10 per year - particularly if the monies went to improving the site/charity - is probaly the easiest way without closing the site to non club members (We actually like most of the Westy boys on Blatchat ;) )

Blatters,  I did, back in the days of Blatchat propose that id the hosters of the forum were liable, howcome in the days of pen and paper Mr Basildon Bond was never litigated against - I am sure quite a few defamatory statements made the public domain on his paper!

Yeah I saw the Basildon Bond argument in the other house. I can't think of an intelligent response, but the principal is sound IMO.

We actually like most of the Westy boys on Blatchat

I'm liable to quote you on that..........

Are you going to the "do" on Saturday at Ringlestone?

No he won't....trust me ;)

We'll see you there :sheep:

I thought you were off to bed? I certainly am. Well catch up tomorrow afternoon, assuming we're still "in business".... ;)

I consulted some of my parliamentary legal eagles and there are ways to get around idiots who puposely circumvent the guidelines / rules / advice and maintain the service.

Basically around the principle of  "on a freak of their own"

Still I guess L7CGB are well on the case

Freak - ****** more like.

I saw the original post by the sec. Very unhappy bunny !! :zzz:

Johnny