Finding A New Engine

Conehead

you may also want to put a new gearbox on the list too as im sure you said you were on a close ratio box that tops out at 90mph that will happen very quickly with a 2.0 lump

as previously mentioned stick with carbs as the cost of efi mounts up and just keeps on going

personally i would sell your car and then buy one that has the package in that you want. it will save alot of time and will end up cheaper in the long run

if i could go back thats what i would do

Phill I agree but I can see my car being worth more than, 3.5k and that's with your old lump. And this one has cracking brakes and other stuff. Plus I seem to have grown some sort of sentiment. It is no where near as tidy as your was.I am also thinking about a type 9.

The toyota, woukd that fit my bell? Don't thinkso.

There is a set of 45sand a dunnell ecu for sale would that work on a 2ltr zetec

Not sure I would go from a close ratio box to a Type 9 with standard ratios. Possibly a change of diff would give you the legs you are looking for ???

my engine came from a scrappy and cost< 300. would you need a different exhaust or at least a manifold. dont forget the water pump need changing too on the 2.0L.

Depends what diff you have at the moment. The Type E (Rocket) box with a 3.88 diff tops out at around 110mph (6500rpm) depending on what wheels / tyres you have fitted. This is what I have (running 185 60 14 tyres) and it's a bit short for road use as 70mph is about 4000rpm although this would be more comfortable for a higher revving engine of course.

A 3.54 diff will extend this a fair bit but that will add £200 to your budget as they're rare.

Type 9 gearbox shares the same first 4 ratios as the Type E as standard so fifth is higher. If weight is important to you, the type 9 is 11kg heavier than the Type E (ignoring bellhousings).

To answer your question, the Toyota 4AGE obviously won't bolt to the ford bellhousing but Raw sell one to mate that engine to a type 9 (or Type E) gearbox as that's standard setup in their cars.

Ok will look into them, are they comparable to the 2ltr zetec, ideally I would rather not change the bell. You know being sustainable and all.

I have a 4.8 cwp diff

I have a 4.8 cwp diff

Are you sure? That would not only be quite unusual but also give your car a theoretical top speed of about 88mph on the rev limiter in 4th.

Yup that's about right. Its quite quick of the mark, it kept up with matt jacksons 2ltr zetec but only to 50 mph a while ago. Given anymore time and it would have been destroyed. It is really no quicker than any other road car from about 60 onwards.

If some one offers me 4000 grand ill give them my car and engine any by the one some one just offered my but I doutb they will lol

What about the vauxhall lump....

They can be picked up quite cheap, can these be run on standard ecu, injectors etc. in a westy?

I need a definitive list of all the parts required for each engine option lol anyone got one. It really looks like my xflow will be gone shortly.

Before you get ahead of yourself have you found out yet if you have a lowline nose? As unless you fancy fitting a new nose and bonnet that may severely limit your potential engine options.

• Like 1

What about the vauxhall lump....

They can be picked up quite cheap, can these be run on standard ecu, injectors etc. in a westy?

I need a definitive list of all the parts required for each engine option lol anyone got one. It really looks like my xflow will be gone shortly.

if you mean an xe then its a big bill

have a look

http://westfield-world.com/xeinstall.html

yes they run on standard injectors but thats about as far as it goes. easiest option is carbs

its still a tall block though i only have 10mm clearance on mine

Right I spent all evening looking at engines options and the missus is screwing! Not literally!

But I think I have decided to go for a 1.8 zetec - second hand one complete can be had for £150 quid complete.

Do these need 45 webers or 40s ( I have 40s)

Therefore I would need:

engine mounts

Manifold

ecu

It all seems a bit simple to me so I must have missed loads!

Can some enlighten my intense stupidity as I have drawn a blank!

Yep too simple.

You alos need a shallow sump and oil pick up.

You also need an inlet manifold, as well as the exhaust manifold

ECU, but alos the correct Crank sensor...a manual one if not fitted, and the TPS would be good to able sensible 3D mapping

You will need an oil filter that fits and this can be achalenge in a narrow. The 1.8L oil pump has the filter neck angled back....but i picked up a 1.8 with a 2L oil pump and ended up with a remote oil filter install.

You will need an air filter of sufficient size

twin 40's will be OK, but you will need bigger chokes and venturies and all new jets etc and as there are 4 it all adds up to quite a packet

Starter motor might be OK....I can not remember but a Lucus LS something does fit

You will need a spigot bearing for the crank and you will need a Pinto clutch and a CVH cover plate i think...but basically clutch

You will need some pipes to plum all the cooling correctly as it needs to be done properly or over or undercooling results quite quickly

You will need the loom with the ECU

You will probably need new plugs and oil and that is £100 right there.

It will need to be RR mapped and on astock 1.8 with 40's will perhaps only deliver 140ish bhp, perhaps less. If the ratios and the final drive are the same it will probably slower/as slow as your current engine.

Adding 2L cams will help as will getting them dialed in on the RR with Verniers and adding 45's better again....THis kind of spec netted about 160bhp in my car. Next was simple head and port shaping and 285deg cams and this was out at 175ish and finally EFI got us to 192bhp....once on one day but it was expensive to extract this BHP.

I swpws CVH to Zetec.... Sorry Chaz swapped for me. ;):laugh:;)