Finding A New Engine

Conehead

Hi all,

I am going to change my engine now as I want a reliable modern unit with good fairly standard power. I have a budget which is probably small in comparison to some but think it is enough to get the job done.

My car is a 1991 sei narrow, it has a bell housing which will mate to a zetec E. Ideally the exhaust need to be on the passenger side

You will all be glad to know I intend to do this slowly over the winter so no rushing.

So there is these options;

RS2000 2.0 twin cam.

1.8 zetec

2.0 zetec

My most favoured is the 2.0 zetec and there is a brand new one available with injectors and other bits which is affordable. Will it mate first question?

Second if so what other ancillaries will be required.

Also if anyone knows other units that may be suitable I would like to hear of them.

Is your narrow a high or lowline front? If it's low then you might struggle to get a zetec (or much else) in based on seeing zetec installs in high lines. If yours is low, you can buy highline nose and bonnet but this will add to the cost.

Most people on here who have done it seem to think you need to realistically budget around £2k for an engine swap and as such, unless you want to do it for the engineering challenge, it makes more sense to sell your car and buy one with a different engine.

Is your narrow a high or lowline front? .....

Slightly off topic, but please excuse my lack of knowledge. What is the reference point for high or low line, the bonnet, the chassis rail, or something else.

I've never seen that type of reference on here that;'s all.

I guessing a low line but I don't know the difference. Also I have been told that the chassis, suspension setup etc is actually pretty good on my car and i think if i was to sell and replace I'm not sure it would come as well set up!

Slightly off topic, but please excuse my lack of knowledge. What is the reference point for high or low line, the bonnet, the chassis rail, or something else.

You need to measure the height of the nose from the top chassis rail. A low line narrow will be roughly 6.5" whereas a highline narrowis 8.5".

Yeah, some brilliant member already did it in the FAQ :t-up::cool:

Possibly but you can have a man (NMS or whoever) sort that for £250.
maybe but not the actually hardware replacement. Anyway my Westy isn't worth a lot if I were to sell so its out the window. I will measure tomorrow but sure it will be the lower one as it is very low, also dellorto top throttle linkage doesnt fit under the bonnet.

I should add to the posts above that high / low line only applies to narrows.

ive been watching your other post but maybe ive missed something.... but surely for the price of the zetec (bearing in mind you might need exhausts etc) couldnt you just get your other engine professionally repaired?

ok so if its running ok and sound then why think its not as reliable as a zetec ... plenty of people use them. its prob not worth the hastle of changing. maye just sell and upgrade to a different car

Its very simple really I don't like the power delivery and its too slow, like I said before there is no money in selling this car. Without sounding brash I didn't ask why I asked what I can do. I know the cost of it but until I have tied down exactly waht I need I can't price it accordingly and then make my choice.

To keep the cost down you are probably best to stick with carbs to avoid the Cost of throttle bodies, modded tank etc. the carbs off the Xflow would do the job , but for my swap I sold them and bought 45's . The Xflow if in good nick will fetch good money to offset your cost .

The little bits do add up , I spent about £2k going from a x/flow to an XE, plus any engine cost ( i had free engine), but inc being setup at NMS.. Sumps, manifolds , hoses, rad, ignition system, clutch, engine mounts, alternator, wiring mods, bits of welding and so on ... . If you are doing over the winter you have time to collect second hand bits - eg go for a second hand 2.0 mondeo motor, 160bhp on carbs out of the scrappy for couple £100's

Sorry x/fans but a torquey smooth 16v unit makes a world of difference ! It is cheaper to sell up , but a satisfying project.

Other options, bike engine ? Vauxhall XE ( exhaust on same side as XFlow)