Self Cancelling Indicators

ian clear

Maybe I need a desk in the Stoneleigh tent next year where we can all sit quietly and solder these things together!

I wish I had some experience of soldering boards, then I'd do some for you Mike.

I've written the fitting instructions:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=788

do they make sense, though? I'm so familiar with it, I can't really tell! Feedback gratefully received, the worse the better :)

Mike,

The instructions look comprehensive and simple enough - it appears that the unit replaces the indicator relay, is this correct?  If so, does it have to be retained for the Hazards?

single button headlight flash would be a great option as would the fog lamp cancel for those going through the IVA

I have an Omex 600 ecu and ETB Digidash2 so the majority of the other options would replicate functionality, but I could see them being useful to owners 

Thanks for the feedback jonjh,

the unit actually works with the existing indicator relay, rather than replacing it. I did this because people have many weird and wonderful combinations of indicator + hazard relay/ single relay/ diodes and switches, so I deliberately kept it so that it literally 'slots in' where the indicator switch would currently sit - so if your indicators work currently, they'll still work afterwards... The Hazard function needs to work with ignition off, so remains untouched by the BlinkStop unit.

I'll update the drawings to be clearer on this.

here:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=794

I don't know the IVA situation for push button indicators - suspect this may be a problem with steering wheel crash pads, so would recommend going through IVA with a 'standard' switch set-up.

Speaking to msisleman who just went through IVA, it appears that the 'fog lamp cancel' requirement may be a badly worded one  - he didn't need to comply with it, at least, with no issue.

I wonder if the headlight flash function could be paired with anything else - otherwise it would only need one of the 2 currently available switch inputs and outputs assuming a changeover relay is used for the headlight main/dip which would make it significantly cheaper than a fully populated unit [might be welcomed by sycho :)].

Edited by R7 WSC

I currently don't have a hazard switch, can I assume that this until will enable this, I guess I'll need to add a switch for this somewhere? Any other functions that this box of tricks can provide would be great and I'm happy to have a crack at using them. Can this help with the day light runner/indicator duel LED light system thing. (Sorry not very technical, but was looking at that previously)

I used to work in a Circuit board assembly company (in the office mind, not on the shopfloor) so have seen a lot of soldering, so that's why I think I'll be able to have a go. I have a good few contacts there is I get stuck. Might be able to help a few other out with it if I get success!

Look forward to hearing of the progress. I must say this is a great idea, a great development, and really well presented, a huge pat of the back for doing this well done!

Love the idea of a soldering line at the Stoneleigh tent, however, I guess health and safety etc would put a stop to that pretty sharpish, but have a great picture in my mind......... :yes:

Love the idea of a soldering line at the Stoneleigh tent, however, I guess health and safety etc would put a stop to that pretty sharpish, but have a great picture in my mind......... :yes:

Oh, I'm sure I can arrange something! :d

• Like 1

Oh, I'm sure I can arrange something! :d

I could provide a batch of kits at cost price, for sale to members only, with all profits going to charity for boards successfully completed in the tent... (or something like that)

I currently don't have a hazard switch, can I assume that this until will enable this, I guess I'll need to add a switch for this somewhere? Any other functions that this box of tricks can provide would be great and I'm happy to have a crack at using them. Can this help with the day light runner/indicator duel LED light system thing. (Sorry not very technical, but was looking at that previously)

Hazards - I'll try to explain:

The MOSFETS are high-side switches - that means they sit on the 12V side of the load (in this case the indicators) rather than the ground side of the load. That type of MOSFET needs to be driven high (not grounded) to turn OFF. That normally happens when the ignition power is connected, so if the ignition power is switched off, the MOSFETS will be ON and both indicators would flash if the flasher relay were powered. But normally, the flasher relay is fed from the same ignition power as BlinkStop, so they stay off.

If you had an existing hazard switch and wiring, it should then work as 'normal' with a separate permanent 12V feed to the relay. Some current will flow through the MOSFETS, but mostly it will flow through the hazard switch wiring, and all SHOULD be fine.

However, if you don't currently have a hazard switch (but want a hazard function), you could simply use a double pole changeover switch to de-power the BlinkStop whilst simultaneously providing permanent 12V to the flasher relay instead of ignition 12V...

So the simple answer was 'yes' but probably needs a picture to explain  :d  

Sorry, I'm not sure what the DRL indicator problem is?

I presume the drl thing is:

Drl reduces by 50% when lights are on.

Left or right drl goes out when indicating.

I brought one of those boxes of eBay for less than £10 it wires straight to the battery.

I've done a circuit for a headlight main beam flasher, but it needed 3 relays!? Can this be done with 2? [i only want to use one output relay control wire, otherwise I could just have a separate main beam relay and dipped beam relay]

I need the sidelights to be on (and ignition) to allow headlights - RELAY 1

I need the main beam to flash when sidelights are off - RELAY 2

I need to be able to switch dip beam off when main beam is on - RELAY 3

Edit: Doh, as soon as I walked away from the PC, I remembered the switches are double pole and the sidelight switch can effectively replace relay 1... I just knew I only needed 2 but couldn't see for looking...

mainbeam_zps7lbkjrg3.jpg

• Like 1

I'll take a kit version please, no rush, to be added to my winter project list that includes new engine, gearbox, dash, qr boss and boot box.

• Like 1

wow you have gone a little over my head now! But looks like it can be a hazard light unit also, great, i'll take that option.

As for DRL (Day light running lights) there are LED bulbs available that can be both indicators and DRL options. I was wondering if your unit could also run that in the same box? As suggested above, dimming them to 50% if the other lights are turned on?

The headlight flash looks great too, I'd like that in the kit too.

This is turning out to be a great box of tricks.

Sorry for dumb question, but I have a 3 stage shift light system that links from a SPA digital speedo/tachometer. The 3rd stage of the shift light glows red for shift (Has a smaller green and amber on the dial its self for 1st and second stage) This light also acts as the dash indication that the indicators are on by flashing green. Would this be effected by your box? Sorry if this is a silly question, looking at the wire diagram, you don't adjust any link to a dashboard light, just wanted to check. 

Great work!

I got bored drawing schematics, so didn't show the hazard and dash light circuits, but no - they wouldn't be affected at all as they just 'T' off the existing indicator circuit. I'll update the fitting instructions and re-post - thanks for the feedback - hopefully the next set will be clearer :)

mainbeam2relay_zpsgkzq7tas.jpg

Here's the updated 2-relay wiring diagram for mainbeam flash. In case it wasn't clear, this would need a second BlinkStop (needs a different name - any suggestions?), but it could be de-populated a little bit internally. I'll try to describe it:

The unit is powered from ignition power. That's OK because there's no requirement to use main beam with ignition off.

Once the ignition is on, the unit senses headlight power.

If the headlights are on, the momentary main beam button will cause the main beam relay control wire to be powered. This switches the main beam relay (on the right) from dipped to main, and also switches the power relay (on the left) to permanent live. Main beam is now on until the button is pushed again (returns to dipped), or ignition turned off.

If the headlights are off, the main beam button will cause the control wire to be powered for just one second (hence the flash). The left changeover relay guarantees that the main beam will come on even though the headlight switch is off.