Self Cancelling Indicators

ian clear

First couple of the new PCB's are soldered up - assembly instructions are updated to match [these are the boards that will be in the kits], hopefully clear to everyone:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/blog/13/entry-280-self-cancelling-indicator-blinkstop/

The extra clearance around the tracks and small layout changes made the soldering pretty easy - I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone gets on :)

It feels like Christmas already - I've boxed up the complete units, next will be the kits. Then I'll start contacting everyone :)

f240572c-e2d5-43de-afe2-67b7dfdb4dbb_zps

• Like 4

Everything is boxed up and ready - I've emailed those that have emailed me so far. Looking forward to seeing the results here :)

mainbeam2relay_zpsgkzq7tas.jpg

Here's the updated 2-relay wiring diagram for mainbeam flash. In case it wasn't clear, this would need a second BlinkStop (needs a different name - any suggestions?), but it could be de-populated a little bit internally. I'll try to describe it:

The unit is powered from ignition power. That's OK because there's no requirement to use main beam with ignition off.

Once the ignition is on, the unit senses headlight power.

If the headlights are on, the momentary main beam button will cause the main beam relay control wire to be powered. This switches the main beam relay (on the right) from dipped to main, and also switches the power relay (on the left) to permanent live. Main beam is now on until the button is pushed again (returns to dipped), or ignition turned off.

If the headlights are off, the main beam button will cause the control wire to be powered for just one second (hence the flash). The left changeover relay guarantees that the main beam will come on even though the headlight switch is off. 

The other feature I added to my own car is to always return to dipped beam after 60 sec since this probably means I've left it on main beam accidentally...

I think I'll code it so if the headlights are off, the main beam will come on for as long as you hold the button (rather than a fixed 1 sec) whereas they'll latch on and off with each push if the headlights are on.

Here's the first 'BeamStop' (for Sycho) - it's a de-populated (cheaper) version of the normal BlinkStop board with different program on the chip (not fitted here). It means you can use conventional 5 pin changeover relays rather than faffing about with latching relays. OK, I admit I'm biased because I like micro-controllers :)

IMG_20151115_193426603_zpsqhplmaea.jpg

I'm going to have to solder another BeamStop up to take more photo's, so if anyone wants that one for £40, send me an email.

It lets you put your main beam button on the steering wheel. Then if the headlights are off, you get main beam just while pressing the button (like the flash function on a normal column switch) but if the headlights are on, main beam turns on and off with each press. 

Who's going to be the first to solder their kit and post a piccie?

I will probably do mine one evening next week, but if there's competition I might do it quicker :)

So, best get it in the post Mike!

• Like 1

Finished mine last night but didn't take any photos......

Blinkstop_zpsv5qjppaa.jpg

Many thanks Mike

Part of a wider upgraditis package so won't know if I've built it correctly until the gearbox and engine are back in the car.

• Like 1

Mike's instructions are comprehensive and it was straight forward - took about an hour in total. To be fair, I'm a CEng who started work as an Avionics Technician Apprentice in the early eighties so have a reasonable background in this type of work but that was before varifocals.......

• Like 2

Assembled kit arrived today, just need to get it fitted now

Rich

grab the latest instructions (v4), Rich - I aligned the red wire with the left (green and red) Westfield loom colour - otherwise you might find your right indicator switch signals left and vice versa. Easy to swap the wires over, but more satisfying if it's right first time.