Self Cancelling Indicators

ian clear

Hooray, msisleman and de04* (Craig and Dean) have fitted their BlinkStops.

Craig's worked immediately, but Dean found he had to change his flasher relay from the CBS blue one to the red one (BlinkStop should only add approx 0.1 Ohm, but it seems this tipped him over an edge and stopped the flash working) :

IMG-20151031-WA0000_zpsthc5fzhj.jpg

Dean has LED indicators all around, so I'm surprised it was OK before, but anyway, the red 30W 'LED' relay (electronic) has solved that problem (strangely the pins are apparently reversed too)...

Craig has a voltage backfeed from his Hazard circuit during ignition off (separate Hazard and Flasher relays), but we can fix that one easily enough with the second pole of the hazard switch :)

Road testing starts tomorrow!

Meanwhile, the new PCB's have shipped from the factory and I've ordered a huge pile of components on the credit card...

I also updated the fitting instructions based on feedback from here and Dean and Craig's experience:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=794

• Like 2

Looking forward to road testing tomorrow. The garage testing so far pleases me very much!

• Like 1

Here's Dean's switch wiring [strangely his right and left were backwards so he had to rotate the switch - I'll triple check the code]:

IMG-20151031-WA0002_zpsginyqbfg.jpg

and he found a convenient brake light wire in the tunnel:

IMG-20151031-WA0003_zpsmxecdrwk.jpg

I'll have a kit please Mike.....Blinkstop that is

• Like 1

R7 WSC (Mike) has done a brilliant job in designing and making these,they are so easy to fit.

I second that! He's done a fantastic job, using not only his skills and knowledge but his time and all for the good of other Westfield owners.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

• Like 1

I can confirm, after todays testing....

Blinkstop has changed my life.

• Like 1

Seriously though, it's great. The times all seem sensible enough, and everything works (apart from the ignition off hazard issue as mentioned earlier, we'll sort that). No point not having one in my opinion. Also using buttons on the wheel really is so much better than a dash toggle switch!

For those who are interested in the kit assembly (go on, you know it makes sense), here is the first draft of the instructions. It'll be updated to match the PCB's when they arrive as I'll need to solder up the first couple for checks:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=795

Please can you look to see if it makes some kind of sense and whether you now feel more/less confident in having a go...

No point not having one in my opinion. Also using buttons on the wheel really is so much better than a dash toggle switch

I should maybe point out that if you look at the photo of Dean's install, you'll see that for a toggle switch, all you'd need to do to return the wiring to 'standard' is unplug the 3 switch wires and reconnect to the flasher. That's deliberate in case people are nervous of fitting electronics to an otherwise 'mechanical' system and want an easy way back...

Almost finished testing now, just need some slightly less foggy weather...

Ooh, and pretty labels arrived  :d

IMG_20151102_202751697_zpse1cksu0n.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Mike

Looks a cracking bit of kit, can you let me know how much the finished article is and method of payment, I can add it to my list of jobs for the winter, growing by the minute.

Regards

Rich

And here is the finished article - this is what an evening's work with a kit should produce (without the red woolly jumper :d ):

I reckon it would make a perfect Christmas present (well better than socks, anyway!)

55fce8bc-f905-478e-9e6d-9a5b0723cbf9_zps

Now the prices:

For non-members, a kit will be £25+postage or £55+postage for a pre-assembled and tested unit.

For WSCC members, take 10% off this, so a kit will be £22.50+postage or £49.50+postage for a pre-assembled and tested unit.

If there are a few members from one area, I can obviously combine postage.

As far as logistics, I should have 7 complete units ready next week. For the kits, I'm waiting on PCB's, but I was able to increase the order from 10 to 20 boards and I'll be soldering up the first 2 (at least) to take new photos for the instructions, so there should be plenty to go around...

I've made a note of the order people popped up in, so if you'd like to order one, please send an email to my private address (in the contact area of the fitting instructions) with your forum name and we can go from there! [i'm away on business for a few days, so please don't worry if you don't hear from me immediately]

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words of support - it's helped enormously since I didn't quite realise how many hours I'd end up devoting to this one :)  

I'll keep the latest version of instructions here: http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/blog/13/entry-280-self-cancelling-indicator-blinkstop/

• Like 3

Meanwhile, back in the BlinkStop factory, the soldering iron has been smoking away...

IMG_20151108_102838084_zpsmocq68nr.jpg

The new PCB's have arrived, too -so I'll solder a few up to finish the assembly instructions this week.

IMG_20151108_160329141_zpssmy5acxv.jpg

I'll start contacting everyone soon to arrange delivery, thanks!

• Like 3