Build Diaries And Tools

Bubba

Well finally I have put my order in for my new westie and due to pick up Modules 1 and 2 W/E 19/10 and I can't wait.

I want to do a full build dairy what section of the forum should I post it into.

I have just completed the first part of my build by preparing the base for my shed where I need to move all of my garage into so I can build Bumblebee.

Is there a decent list of the tools I am going to need?

Getting very excited now

Most of us with build diaries have the in the Chat section of the forum.

The build manual gives a basic list of tools you'll need to complete the build, but you'll probably end up buying a few more as things progress. Tiggers website offers a fairly comprehensive list of tools you may need :)

http://westfield-world.com/tool-list.html

• Like 1

Awesome thank you Mark, have just created a photobucket album so will now go to the chat section. Thanks for the link it seems I already have some of the tools needed, great!

I'd say without a doubt, an air powered rivet gun was the best tool I used during my build. One of these will save you masses of time and pain during the build because there's 100's of ****** rivets! I also found a rivnut tool (about £20) to very handy on my build

Make sure you confirm with the factory what you are picking up and when before you arrange your van as "sometimes" there have been delivery malfunctions which cost you a van hire and days holiday. There are a few notorious missing parts like the clutch pedal stop bolt and steering columns which featured a few times. Some had bigger and more items adrift. Worth a few phone calls to confirm. Enjoy the day out, as for tools, plenty of cobalt drills 4.1 (woops) mm ( got mine as resharpened from a guy on Ebay and couldn't fault them only used about 10) for the thousand rivets an air rivet gun + compressor ( just beaten to that one by deanoecosse) read up on loads of build threads and get the general drift, we all made the same mistakes and they are all documented. Don't rush its not a race, beware the builders depression when it doesn't go as you want and enjoy the learning. If you are not mechanically or electrically biased do a bit of reading up before you tackle that section. Look after the guys in the Westfield stores Gavin and Russ will become your best mates as their knowledge is soooooooo helpfull.

Enjoy and looking forward to the photos.

Bob :yes:

I'd say without a doubt, an air powered rivet gun was the best tool I used during my build. One of these will save you masses of time and pain during the build because there's 100's of ****** rivets! I also found a rivnut tool (about £20) to very handy on my build

If you haven't got a compressor, I found the lazy tong riveters very effective :t-up: and cheap :yes:

You've already found the best tool for your build Bubba - the WSCC Forums!!

I posted a problem with my build this afternoon and had the answers within a matter of hours.

Look forward to seeing your build thread.

Andy

My mate owns a garage and I am hoping to "borrow" an air compressor and gun from him so fingers crossed. Luckily I have my own van so if the factory are late then its not a problem (apart from me being so excited and let down!)

Just ordered the shed so this weekend I will be mostly getting rubbish out of the garage and possibly a little tool shopping

I would suggest getting some cleco pins from the start. I wish I had!!

Also, an engine hoist is surprisingly useful for many things (well, mainly for lifting) so if you have space I would suggest buying a cheap one rather than renting one just for putting the engine in. If you sell it after the build, it's probably just as cheap.

Looking forward to following your build!!

A Rivnut kit is one of those things I wish I'd picked up much earlier in the build than I did; things like the fuse boxes, I've now fitted Rvnuts for rather than trying to reach down the tunnel with a nut. I've also done the tunnel top panels in the cockpit, lots of little areas like this.

I use http://www.blogger.com/ for my blog and it's very easy to post photos and update - I'm bordering Luddite . As for tools - see http://westfield-world.com/tool-list.html plus I'd swear by an air riveter (~£30 plus compressor - I'd say essential if you're doing all the ali panels but you will also need a hand riveter), a good multimeter (I already had a fluke FM27 but Maplin sell good MMs from ~£15), get sanding & cutting attachments for the Dremel, plus I'd recommended buying an engine hoist and leveller (~£160 new off ebay). Finally read through the manual and buy plenty of all the drill sizes (make sure they're suitable for drilling steel) especially 4.1mm - if your doing all the ali panels you'll go through a couple of dozen.

Visit the factory, with a camera, (you can do it when you go to collect the kit) and take as many photos of cars being built as you can; detail photos too, not just somebody grinning with a hammer in their hands ;) in front of a car! If you can find one close to your own in spec, so much the better. But get detailed close up's all over the car including underneath. It's so useful later when you're looking at where to run stuff etc.