Yorkshire Meeting 5 September

Rory's Dad

Just a quick update on our meeting yesterday. I had organised Wayne Barraclough (a local member) to attend and to demonstrate how to set up the suspension of a Westfield. I had volunteered my car as the first victim as I know my wheels face forward but that's about it. Wayne's prices are very reasonable and are £10 to weigh a car, £30 to adjust corner weights to suit the driver's body weight, £10 to check 4 wheel alignment including camber, and £10 per corner to adjust alignment. This is not a commercial exercise (Wayne works in IT during the day) but just a way for him to offset the cost of his laser 4 wheel alignment, camber and corner weighting equipment that he's bought. He'd brought his nephew too.

Sadly, in trying to get the Westy in good order for its MOT and to take Dave Meesum to the meeting, I had bu99ered up the wiring on my car - 12v out of the ignition and then 3 or 4 volts at the fusebox - bloomin' thing. Some wiring had obviously overheated and had melted the connectors. Stooping over the car had bu99ered up my back too. Anyway Dave took me to the meeting so I could have a beer or three. My anxiety was resolved to find that Ratridge had come over from Goathland and was happy to have his car set up instead of mine. He's reported back that the car has been transformed after the meeting. I expect more business will be going to Wayne over the next few months - thanks for coming over Wayne and put mine down to be next in the queue!

Otherwise it was just the usual excellent meeting with a special hello (having forgotten previously) to the guy from Sheffield, to the guy with the turbo Cossie, to the guy who was one of those who went to Italy with Frank Bryant and to the couple with a yellow VX220. One day I'll remember your names too!!

The usual suspects were present too including Steve Everall in his very attractive sprint Westfield. It looked particularly neat because Steve has needed a number of new wings. Obviously your success in the Sprint Series Steve, is down to the tightness of your lines. Brother Terry was embarrased to find that Paul Aspden's brother (another name I've forgotton) was also wearing a "I am the Stig" t-shirt but that his had a Top Gear logo on the back. Some people are just so competitive! Amongst other regulars were John Hoyle who seems to be going well in the Speed Series despite the age of his engine and Gary Smith. Finally it was good to see Frank Bryant (who gave me the name of a good auto electrician), Denno in his Sunbeam Stilleto (with Ford Turbo power), Ron Siddle's C type (which needed a run out to 'cure' the new finish on his exhaust manifold) Richard Marsh, Barry Peel (whose Westy was suffering from an overheating starter) and anyone else I've forgotton.

Another great meeting - warm and dry although it did get cold when the sun went down. Now back to the pain killers and my wiring problem! See you soon!

Rory's Dad