Hearing Protection - What You Guys Using

Cleggy the Spyder Man

I realise you are discussing the custom fit ear plugs, but I use these, green for blats, and Orange for machinery.

http://www.allearplugs.com/ear-plugs/noise-reduction-earplugs/proguard-noizezz-universal-earplugs-snr-24-db-green.aspx

I struggled with the foam ones, some difficult to get in, and give you a disconcerting full ear feel. If you don't manage to get them in far enough they stick out and act as a reed and generate their own wind noise, but these (above) are simply superb.

Can't follow that one and I have met yer Mrs. Well I can but I won't .

My Emtecs not Emmas, now that I have found them have a little data sheet inside which tells you the attenuation and frequency all tested by Salford University Report No HP/95/15 probably well out of date. Varying attenuation from 13.9 at 63hz to 36.9 at 8khz, whatever that lot means. They are donkeys years old and not yet used properly in anger but I can immediately tell how much they kill the noise but let you still hear voices. I've got voices in my head yer 'onor. I have worn hearing protection at work for the last 30 years and the standard earplugs just don't suit me. These things screw into your head and off you go. They look like the ones DC wears at the GPs without the stringy bit. I would guess as these are circa 1995 then improvements will have been made, including the string.

Still have a bit of mid range hearing loss, them there gas turbines are bl**dy noisey. Audiotest every two years and not getting worse so I must have peaked.

Kirkyboy your a bad man, how do you hear the phone ringing.

Bob :d

really appreciate the input guys

am going to arrange an appointment some time over the coming weeks

I normally use soft-blasts at around -33db, or my ER-20.

Trouble is that wind noise is just as strong when blattting, even though the overall level is attenuated.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the Noisebreakers, Cleggy. I was wondering if these guys come all the way out from Shrewsbury, or whether they have local agents?

I've tried various ear defenders / plugs. Defenders make me look like a d*** ! and plugs move or fall out and are ineffective. I have found these Linky from the USA to work best for me. They are sealed to your ear using some bees wax so that they are always re-shaping to your ear hole even if you move / swallow etc. Your body heat keeps them soft enough for this. Also good for swimming as they seal your ears from water and SWMBO uses them too to sleep as apparently someone in our bedroom snores!?

I've just been to Spec Savers and find my right ear is getting worse. I've booked in to have an impression made of my ears. Will be £90 all in but the guy said these plugs will fix the Westie's noise nuisance (for me anyway!). The soft foam jobbies are just useless IMO either in my helmet or not. Don't have the patience to get them correctly seated.

Rory's Dad

I've just been to Spec Savers and find my right ear is getting worse. I've booked in to have an impression made of my ears. Will be £90 all in but the guy said these plugs will fix the Westie's noise nuisance (for me anyway!). The soft foam jobbies are just useless IMO either in my helmet or not. Don't have the patience to get them correctly seated.

Rory's Dad

I am just about to book with them too, it would seem these are ACS ones for a lot less than buying through an ACS dealer.