Hearing Protection - What You Guys Using

Cleggy the Spyder Man

I have been suffering from a little ringing in the right ear for a while now.....

I have been for a hearing test and they have confirmed I have "some hearing" damage and at the moment glue ear in the right (normally reserved for kids I believe) of which I am taking beconase nasal spray to clear

since noticing the ringing :angry::blush: I have tried various earplugs and am struggling with them with regards to protection levels - the best ones so far have been the gel type balls that you roll up and spread around inside your ear - I have tried various foam types and struggle to get them to fit despite knowing how to fit them properly - the pre-moulded ones are fairly uncomfortable for me so they are out

but I really want to get something custom made that I know is always giving me the proper levels of protection so my hearing does not deteriorate further

so down to the question - do any of you guys have any experience of the better fit ones that require a visit to an audiologist for them to take a mould of your ear?

if so any recommendations around the Peterborough area or a national that have bases all over?

I use a self moulded set I got from Ebay which you follow the instuctions and they are easy and fit well. But, If I had hearing damage I would be getting a set made that were correct for my problem. An audiologist will advise better than me but protect your senses as much as you can.

It has been reported before in medical studies that driving in a convertible is likely to damage your hearing as the wind can become so loud.

Blatman has a set of properly moulded ones, as I'm sure do others, but I know he's posted up the details a few times over the years!

Clegster

I had a set made up by a company called I think Emptec, I recall they were about £40 years ago. They put a ball of cotton wool in your head and make a mould of each canal they result is very good. They follow your sort of spiral shell like ear tunnel and screw in. The attenuation is good and can be set for different activities at manufacture. Mine where for gas turbine work offshore where the module noise levels where monstrous probably 110plus dba. We didn't use them on there own but for the general noisey place type stuff they are very good. Still have them and they allow the normal speech stuff through. Not sure if that company still exists as it was a good while ago. I also tried the H6 and H10 variaties of peltor muffs, the H6's didn't take away all the noise but the H10s did however as the noise was about totally gone it was very disorientating being in a no noise place very strange things to wear.

Another thing to remember is that age does bring on a certain level of loss of hearing sorry mate. :( That is exacerbated by being in a noisey environment and the damage is normally irreversible once the cochlia or whatever they are called are damaged, the hairy bits.

Just been for a look in the garage but can't find em I've obviously put them somewhere safe.

Sorry I can't any more help.

Bob :(

Found the web site

http://www.noisebreaker.com/

I had some moulded ones made for playing in a band. The company is ACS (http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/) and you can get the impressions made by the audiologists at Specsaver Hear Centres. You can get 3 levels of attenuation, 9db, 15 db and 25 db, and the attenuators are replacable. They are not cheap, but what price can you put on your hearing?

H10's totally threw me the first time I used a pair :laugh::oops:

I can't use the foam type either, they're quite effective, but I really, really struggle getting the damn things in. FWIW, I've just been using 3M 1261 universal moulded rubber types. Not quite as effective as well fitting foam, but much better than badly fitted foam ones and work OK. (I'd loose custom made jobs, I carry a couple of spare packs of the 3M's)

Cleggy

I had a pair of these made, the guy came to my house was not expensive, think about £30, will try and find his details for you

Wow, that's very good; might have to rethink. (It was hundreds when I looked), at that price its worth getting a set and a spare!

What, Eh, you'll have to speak up, I'm a bit mutton you know. Too many blats in a noisy car.

My hearing isnt perfect anyway (several perforated eardrums as a kid :() so I'm keen to protect it. I bought two pairs of 3M Peltor ear defenders to wear on anything more than a short trip. I can now drive for 50+ miles without feeling like I'm stepping out of a night club!

For anything really long (or going somewhere like a rolling road) I have a set of even bigger Peltor ear defenders. They take out 35db!

Always wear a helmet Matt :p:d

In the aeroscreened car, I used to think a helmet was enough; always used to come back from a half hour or so, (or longer) blat with a raging head ache. That's when I started wearing ear plugs under my lid. It made a hive difference, no more head aches.

I use Sordin muffs on my work hat - 118 Db chainsaw and 125 Db chipper - works a treat.

HI

guys when choosing hearing protection you need to ensure that you are protecting against the correct frequency

no point in reducing by 30dB in the wrong frequency, when doing noise tests we break down by frequency

and then choose the relevant ear protection using a spectographic breakdown performed by the kit.

Unfortunately it is not just a simple as buying a set with the greatest dB reduction

Boney

• Like 1