Track Day In The Rain - Advice Needed

Dodgey

Got llandow this saturday, my first track day in the Westie. The forecast is for heavy showers all day.

Now I know that my head touches the roof normally, so with a helmet its going to be too much. But then if i wear waterproofs with no roof or doors then i have my seats and carpets to consider.

Any advice?

Maybe doors, no roof, waterproofs, remove carpets, and bin bag cover seats?

• Like 2

Maybe doors, no roof, waterproofs, remove carpets, and bin bag cover seats?

You have it spot on there I reckon, couple of small holes in the floor of the car will help the water drain out too :)

Take the carpets out, tape up any electrics on the dash and just enjoy it. those of us without the gift of roofs have to endure it all the time...

as above..plus.. might be best to take the screen off too, seriously - it gets wet on both sides and you can't see thro it on a track day (been there etc) ! Saves it from stone damage too.

Enjoy the day and let us know how you get on.

I'm there the following week so keen for your advice back Dodgey

Apply rainex to screen and your helmet and run with doors on and your waterproofs on. You will be surprised how quick you can go if you keep it smooth and have the right tyres on. It should teach you a lot about how your car handles. Careful with the chicane down the back straight as it can catch you out in the wet especially if someone drops oil on the track

Can't say I'm not trying.... :-)

IMG_2659Medium.jpg

More bags to go, and some taping but getting there. Taken the floor foams out, which were damp anyhow, rolled the passenger carpet back, leaving the driver's carpet in as it's easier. Covered the rear carpet.

Helmet is already equipped with a fog thingy (god it's been a while - can't remember the name!). Chick issued with a squeegy.

Baked bean can about to be butchered to make a make shift emergency silencer. Off to the jubilee clip shop now.... if anyone can tell me a method. .... I'm assuming I'll angle grind a slit in the end, say, 2 cm wide, from one side to the other of the base, for the exhaust, then make a slit in the side of the can at the open end so it will jubilee-down nicely?

I would not bother covering switches

Ask cleggy

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: you guys - still too wet to give advice on this :( :( :(

waterproof wise - a one piece suit works best with yet another waterproof jacket over the top - the additional outer jacket stops the water from welling up were you bend in the middle and soaking through the zip - also roll up your trouser legs as they will sit in water and seep up your leg

the hood from the one piece suit should be on and then fit your helmet over the top (if room) it made my helmet a bit tight to get on but it really stops the water from going down your back

take plenty of spare sets of clothes, socks and shoes so you can nget comfortable

it ois entirely up to you with the car - but as suggested above some holes in the floor will help drain the water

because I use my car in all sorts of weather all year around I have ditched carpets and padded seats - you can leave them in but they do take a while to dry out and if done often enough they start to get a bit smelly and mouldy looking

I shall say no more :laugh:

Oh - someone said to cover electrics - do i need to cover all the switches?

I never have and have never had issues - I do however go around with wd40 on the switches/fuses as part of the drying out process

Cool - I have a full set of over-waterproofs I used on my bike. I'll add another waterproof to that.

I reckon I'll be driving bare foot as I only have one pair of shoes that are thin enough to cope with the Westie's pedals.

Good point on extra clothes. never thought of that!

Thanks