What A Night

Norman Verona

Tom Fordyce has a piece on the Beeb that is worth reading, hits the spot I thought

Fordyce wrote:

There was a point in the Olympic Stadium on Saturday evening, at about 9.20pm, when you wanted to put the world on pause and just revel in it all for a moment before the next wonderful thing caught you round the chops.

From Eton Dorney to the velodrome at the north end of Stratford's Olympic Park to within toasty distance of the Olympic flame itself, there was the same expression on British faces: I can't believe I'm here, I can't believe I'm watching this.

What do you have to compare it to? England's World Cup win in 1966 was precisely that - England's. So was Jonny Wilkinson's iconic drop-goal in Sydney nine years ago.

This one truly belonged to Britain - a collective grin of national pleasure, a domino-chain of sporting success that had you clapping and cheering new heroes like you'd loved them all their lives.

In brief, I'm not proposing a ban, and I'm sure we're all happy to let his helpful posts and experience with S2000 stuff on the boards, but inflammatory and jingoistic postings by anyone have no place on the boards IMHO. The filter will do this.

As for s2k7, he reminds me of the US Swimming coaches who openly accused the Chinese 15 year old of doping just because she produced a 5s lifetime best in a final to beat their 'girl' and then say absolutely nothing when their 15 year old does the same in beating Adlington. It's their hypocrisy that gets me, anyone who beats a US favourite must be doped, any obvious anomaly from a US athlete is 'talent'

SOME US citizens have only one eye, a few, like s2k7, are completely oblivious to the fact that they are totally blind

I can't watch that, as you say, UK only.

I called Lynne in when there was 5 laps to go. I had a feeling. Mo was pacing himself perfectly. He has a very fast finish.

At the end I was standing up screaming him on and jumping up and down like the lunatic I am. Even Lynne was getting excited.

All we need to do now is to convince our government to put money into youth and sports clubs to maximise on the motivation being generated.

• Like 1

Brit Percy throws away Gold on the last leg of the last race of the Star, having dominated all week they concentrated on beating Brazil in the medal race only to see third placed Sweden win the double points race and pass them both for Gold

After a week of honest winds, light airs do what light airs always do, favour the lucky

I know nothing about sailing but I was riveted to the TV when Ben Ainslie stopped in the race on Friday to take the wind from the Danish guy and allow the Dutch sailor to pass the Dane into second place, giving him, Ainslie, a clear chance of the gold today. Tactically brilliant, and with just a hint of nastiness....

Well done Ben, what a wonderful career.

Well done Andy. Now see if you can do that at next years Wimbledon.

murray showed another class today, was truly brilliant to watch! one can only hope he takes this momentum forward and dominates the rest of the years tennis, a gold medal for another truly world class performance, he dominated federer :)

They're one set up but trailing 2-5 in the secon.

We're out tonight so I'll catch up later.

I have a question .......

regarding those guys in the ladies velodrome cycling events who steady the riders before each race

What do they do with there :yes: :yes: :yes: