Illegal Jerry Can Use

FILFAN

I have been told a couple of times (after filling up 2 x 20 litre jerry cans that were in the back of the car) that it was illegal - the first time the guy said it was down to terrorist attacks :suspect:

never had any problems with filling up the cans when mounted on the trailer though

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FILFAN

• CL290005

• Wile E. Coyote

• Norman Verona

Transporting is ok and filling is ok as long as when exceeding the limits which in this case is 2 x 10l containers you get permission

I can't see anything that says there is a limit that low unless the petrol station chooses to set one themselves.

3.3 Petrol filling station operators may have their own internal policy on the types and numbers of containers they are prepared to fill; frequently one or two 5 litre plastic and/or one or two 10 litre metal. This is a policy decision made by the filling station operators based upon commercial, operational and site specific safety criteria but is not a legal requirement imposed on them.

and

The maximum size of a metal container that can be used for storage by a private individual without prior notification to the Petroleum Licensing Authority is10 litres. Larger containers may be used for transport and hence the maximum size of container that may be filled at a petrol filling station varies between 10 and 23 litres depending on local circumstances or agreements.

Given the filling station attendant has to authorise the pump prior to fuel being dispensed. I think it would be difficult for them to argue that, in authorising the pump, they'd not given permission for a 20l jerry can to be filled?

I can't see anything that says there is a limit that low unless the petrol station chooses to set one themselves.

Given the filling station attendant has to authorise the pump prior to fuel being dispensed. I think it would be difficult for them to argue that, in authorising the pump, they'd not given permission for a 20l jerry can to be filled?

The site operator looks for guidance so they operates the forecourt safely, this guidance is set at 2x10l, if an incident happened then the operator would be challenged in a court of law why they allowed these containers, to be filled, hence the statement make arrangements prior to filling so they can agree.

There are other legislations and guidance which come into play and two of these have been stated that is transport and storage, the storage you need a licence if you choose to store above these quantities and if you have an incident then you will face the consequences of the law.

An operator can stop a transaction at any time he or she wishes, if they consider it a safety concern,

The start of the thread was refering to why he was refused, guidance was given as to why this has happened hence the response not a debate on the size I cannot see the point about 20l as stated these can be filled up it depends on the use and when, so if that is explained then most operators would not have an issue. You can then go and use the fuel but not store it at a domestic property as you would not have a licence to store.

The site operator looks for guidance so they operates the forecourt safely, this guidance is set at 2x10l,

Being curious as I'm in the process of buying new cans, where is this set?

Note sure why you are asking these questions as it has been stated that you can fill a 20l can, I am assuming thats what you are considering.

The maximum size of a metal container that can be used for storage by a private individual without prior notification to the Petroleum Licensing Authority is 2x10 litres, so this is where the guidance comes from, i.e. Petroleum Licence.

So you can go and buy 20l containers but as stated previously if you have an operator who chooses not to allow this to be refuelled he is in his right to do so, hence the best way is to agree with the site operator to allow you to fill 20l

Mainly because I wanted to know if there was guidance about them in order that I could assess how likely a garage would be to say "no" if I turned up with a 20 or two - decent cans aren't cheap and I don't want to waste my money if asking to fill a 20 is more likely to get a "no" than a "yes". Don't take this the wrong way but, given you first said the "guidance" was 2 x 10l, and have now said that it's "10 litres" (the storage limit), it's easy to see why I might be confused about it...

Perhaps a better approach: does anyone know if the Shell at Sandiway (by Oulton) has an issue with 20s?

Perhaps a better approach: does anyone know if the Shell at Sandiway (by Oulton) has an issue with 20s?

they definitely don't - filled there many times.....filled many 20s at a time (5 in one sitting before) with no problems.

I've never had an issue at a petrol station - however I always select a pump which is somewhat obscured from the operators view, quickly whip out the can and position it between my car and pump, lift the pump and it always gets authorised....to be honest never thought it might be illegal, so long as its a reasonable container I can't see anyone refusing, and if they do the next station down the road won't have an issue.

I certainly wouldn't be asking for permission......

I have edited to change it to 2x10l I was in a rush try to give the advise

I hope I have explained, the law is to do with storage this is the legislation and as a PFS is generally for the public use hence they use this, but if you demonstrate that you are using this during the day not storing it then you legally are allowed to fill the containers.

As Norm said this is a real difficult one to police that is until you have an incident

I have never been prevented from filling mine and I know of few refusals, its difficult when trying to give some form of advice as there are so many guidances which can be refered too, plus legislation, its all down to risk management.

Hope this helps

Pay at pump is the way forward.

Reminds me. The lady who stopped me filling up said there was a notice up in the garage shop. Maybe it would have more effect if it was on the pump :)

Fill it and pay at the pump for me or in boot of car out of sight. I feel a bit like a criminal and that pisses me off as we need fuel for carried on mower, chainsaw, hedge cutter etc on my estate! :d

Fill it and pay at the pump for me or in boot of car out of sight. I feel a bit like a criminal and that pisses me off as we need fuel for carried on mower, chainsaw, hedge cutter etc on my estate! :d

Admittedly it was only 3 x 1 gallon jerry cans, but they were in the boot of the Westy - just above where we full up from anyway and noone noticed.

Petrol stations make some daft ar5e rules but it never ceases to amaze me that people think talking on a mobile phone will blow up the petrol station!

Maybe they think we are going to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13NXaoUN_dc

2:25 onwards.

Pay at pump is the way forward.

Reminds me. The lady who stopped me filling up said there was a notice up in the garage shop. Maybe it would have more effect if it was on the pump :)

Yup off to asda at midnight with my can collection... Nothing but me and the 20 chavs in the golden-arches-of-taste :) .... Granted it was just around all the last petrol strike hoohar so I didn't want to be accused of "panic hoarding"

Yup off to asda at midnight with my can collection... Nothing but me and the 20 chavs in the golden-arches-of-taste :) .... Granted it was just around all the last petrol strike hoohar so I didn't want to be accused of "panic hoarding"

Could just eat a double cheese burger mmmm

they definitely don't - filled there many times.....filled many 20s at a time (5 in one sitting before) with no problems.

Perfect - decision made then I think.

Just been to tesco's. There is a a4 bit of paper next to the till sayin you can fill 2x 10L cans due to a change on safety regulations