Hiring A Westie

Bubba

Westfield can be difficult at times to deal with. Other times they are great. 1 comment that made me stop and think was that they are obviously still a small company, not like the current fords and hondas etc. It does seem mad that they treat people in a way that can lead to a loss of sales. The parts department are great when you get through, the car from my limited experience (mines still being built by me) is a very good package that obviously works for a lot of people. Try not to be too put off the factory, if you tell them how you feel in a constructive way I'm sure they'd try to compensate.

As for lowered floors, I believe the seiw now is only sold with lowered floor. The right choice of seat will be very important if your a very tall chap. If you have an aero screen then height shouldnt matter to much IMO. If you know what you want, then keep looking and stay positive. Again in my personnal experience I have waited a long long time to build my own car which was my desire and the final piece should be exactly how I want it. The right thing will come along, and if not, then I'd suggest looking to build your own, again using your previous experience as a bargaining point. :-D

What ever you choose, good luck :-)

Looks like I will need to book an experience day then. Just a shame the next one is november oh I am so impatient!!! Surprised about views on the factory as I found them really helpful and very keen to help. What issues have you had with them?

As much as, at least at present, I have the space at home, the friends to help (The majority of my friends are MOT station, bodywork and general mechanics based, and willing to help), use of full workshop equipment, and possibly even the time, there's no way I could buy a kit and then risk only half of it turning up.

I'm pretty easy going as a rule, but I'm sorry, I'd be furious if I'd paid my money, waited for the promised delivery, only to find half of it missing.

All that said, I love the look of the cars, and everything about them. I've been in two now, both very different, but both brilliant.

If that small sporty type of car is your thing, there's nothing else like it. I tried an Elise, as there's far more about, thus easier to buy, and as much as they're good, and truthfully Mrs, I'd still have a Westfield.

There really didn't seem to be a lot of point, if I'm honest, I fully believed I couldn't get in an SEIW. They had one there I tried to get in it, and couldn't. I didn't want the Sport Turbo, as I don't like Vauxhall, I know Red Tops are proven to be brilliant, but the Sport Turbo isn't that. (this is is a personal opinion/choice) and they wouldn't put me a Duratec in that model.

At Stoneleigh this year, I saw the S2000 one, and said that it was a shame I couldn't have that engine with the Sport Turbo chassis etc.

If any of you saw that car at Stoneleigh, you'll have noticed it had a drop floor and Sport Turbo seats, I got in it just fine, so I could have had exactly what I asked for in the first place.

I'm not really prepared to deal with Westfield now, especially after some of the right-ups of late, so I'm looking for something very specific, and I'm struggling to find it. Bit of a shame all round really.

I am a bit confused by this :(

As far as the cockpit is concerned all the cars coming out of the factory are the same. You'll have a steel drop floor and a choice of seat. If you don'y like any of the Westfield supplied seats have the kit delivered without them and make your choice at your leisure. Get yourself along to your local meet and try out as many as you can.

Secondly, I'm always suspicious of an opinion that "half the kit did not arrive". An aquaintance of mine did the children's attraction at the Science Museum. Lots of people were dissapointed because at first "half of it did not work". The true level was 10%. To reduce that all the exhibits were put on castors so any failiure could be wheeled out and replaced with another in less than a minute. Problem solved.

Who are you dealing with? There is a guy called Simon Westwood who is really good IMO. I do know they are not perfect - a Yorkshire member arranged to go down to the factory for a test drive and were very dissappointed that the demostration car was not available and so they had an entirely wasted journey - the Factory could have called but didn't.

Finally good luck - it will work out for you - one way or the other.

Rory's Dad

You're absolutely right, the chassis is the same, but they didn't tell me that, and inferred the Sport Turbo was pretty much a different car !!! So yes in truth, an SEIW with lowered floors, and Sport Turbo seats would have been fine. This is the point, if they'd told me the facts, I'd have bought a car.

As I said to them, I want a Duratec with an FW back, and a V8 front, ideally in black and orange. If they'd have just said we'll need to put Sport Turbo seats in it, that would have been fine, I'd have got what I wanted.

The total cost would have been acceptable, although now I probably wouldn't want to pay much over 15K for a used one, even if it was exactly what I'm looking for, rationality stepped in I guess. :down:

At the point of visiting the factory, I was all fired up ready to buy a new, factory built car, now, as much as I still want one it's not as important to me. If things are for fun or enjoyment, the second they become a bit of a labour, I tend to move away from them.

With reference to half the kit not arriving, I was referring to the recent build thread, ok perhaps 50% was the wrong figure, but not enough to do the build, and bits as big as the engine not arriving, and waiting months for other bits etc, is bad enough for me not to want to get involved with it.

In hindsight,I should have listened to the forum, and ignored the factory, several members said with the drop floor and sports seats I'd have been fine.

I have spoken to Simon a lot and as have 2 of my mates, one who built his last year (who is 6'4" and was 18 stone) and the other who is just finishing his now. Yes it can take a while sometimes to get parts and yes I was disappointed that when I went to test drive some numpty had literally just worked it out but I had some non Westfield related difficulties are placing a deposit and they couldn't have been more supportive.

I want to build the car myself, have 2 mates as my build team, had and written off an Elise but before doing it I just want to drive one and not my mates ones as they truly love their cars and wouldn't want to do anything that could bend them!!!

I am being impatient and could have booked an experience day earlier just want to get in one before november!

Very excited as I spoke to Judy today and I have a test drive for tomorrow morning. Can't wait and really looking forward to it :-)

good stuff - a test drive and then a visit to a see a few local members cars should be enough to get you hooked (or not)

enjoy and remember to go steady - thinking back to that awful incident a few years back :-(

Well I had an amazing test drive. Did not even get about 4k revs apart from a launch at the back of the factory. Conditions were slightly greasy so was not going to push it in any way but as you all know even bimbling at 30 is just as good as hooning around in a westie. The Mrs even had a drive as well and liked it which was important as I want us both to enjoy it. Just going to wait for their next discount session and then will be ordering Bumblebee JCB! Will be going with the 2.0 Zetec with FW front and rear. Will be a slow build but very enjoyable. :-)

Rory's Dad

Have a look at some of my threads.

You are right it wasn't half the kit missing. In value terms it was more like three quaters!

If you are happy to accept this then fine. But please be prepared. If you would not be happy with about £7k's worth of gear missing when you turn up in your van PLEASE get confirmation of what will be there before you travel

• Like 1

While I did have parts missing, and some that delayed the build, I found the factory to be pretty good to deal with- sales, parts and help. They weren't faultless but my lasting feeling was that they wanted me to be happy.

You won't regret building it, I've done 500 miles and am loving it (especially as I'm now reving it over 4k). I am also very glad to have built it myself. I'm glad to hear it's going to be a slow build as sometimes you have to walk away, and you do need a break every so often.

Looking forward to a bright yellow build thread coming soon....... :t-up:

• Like 1

Great news Bubba. Enjoy the build, you'll most likely miss it when it's done, for all the occasional frustrating moments!

So are you ever done then? I'm rapidly learning that it might not ever be done :laugh:

Just removed my wind deflectors and fitted my sidescreens today.

And added a battery charging cable yesterday.

Still have a rear diffuser to fit, and some sort of 12V power outlet.

Just waiting for my QR steering wheel setup to arrive.

All good stuff. :t-up:

Congratulations, I picked up my FW SE Zetec in the second week of May and I'm now in the final stages of the build looking for an IVA date within the next month or so. There have been problems with parts and I'm still missing some but the Parts Team at the factory, especially Jason, have been reasonably pro-active trying to keep me going. It can be frustrating but I originally thought it would take me 6 - 8 months to get where I am now. Mark Walker is a fountain of knowledge during the working week but best to follow up emails with a call. I'd suggest that you spend sometime reading some build blogs - some good links on the home page my blog http://2js-westfield-build.blogspot.co.uk/ Kevin and Rhett's blogs are superb and Rhett regularly responds to WSCC forum posts with some real nuggets of info - eg engine wiring. Paul Bromley and I are both at the body work stage and Paul is customising his car with additional parts.

Have fun and hopefully 2013 will be the best summer since 1976........................

Jon H

Rory's Dad

Have a look at some of my threads.

You are right it wasn't half the kit missing. In value terms it was more like three quaters!

If you are happy to accept this then fine. But please be prepared. If you would not be happy with about £7k's worth of gear missing when you turn up in your van PLEASE get confirmation of what will be there before you travel

If that was the case then I have to agree. When I collected mine in 2007, I had two problems - front shockers were wrong and the little sub loom to run the heated screen was missing - a very different experience.

Rory's Dad