Blyton Park Sprint

Terry Everall

Purely from a marshalling point of view I would have liked to have seen a few more marshals posts, some were very widely spaced (ie between posts 1 & 2) and would have taken the marshals a long time to get to the scene of a serious incident, and yes I do realise that the rescue unit would have been deployed if needed and it would be more posts to man.

On the whole the marshaling and start line organisation was faultless; the Team GGR incident highlighted an issue with communications from Control Room to Marshals and between marshaling points. Some improvements here would be good, its when you experience the slick marshaling with whistles and flags at venues like Shelsley Walsh you appreciate the effectiveness of marshaling, particularly when you have a number of cars on the course at the same time.

Never saw a red flag used on the start line when a stoppage occurred. Rick/Luke did let drive know that your start would be delayed but a red flag is confirmation that thing are happening out on the circuit and should be the last red flag to be removed once the course was clear.

The challenge of suggestions to improve the final corner scenario is tricky having experienced the course as it was from a driver's perspective any changes would be slightly detrimental as it was so good. Clearly the main issue is the final corner, so a possible solution would be to shorten the course so that the finish was just after Port Froid or (my preference) would be to excavate and put kitty litter down or underground drainage with flat surface on the exit to Ushers and extend the course to 1.75 laps (now that would be fun :) ) with the finish just after Port Froid on the 2nd lap.

Downside to the 1.75 lap format is that it makes start control more difficult and the paddock/start line wait may be a bit longer. We would also get fewer runs but hopefully the 1.75 lap format would be so much fun that drivers would be prepared to queue a bit longer and have fewer runs.

Now 2 laps would make it a very very impressive track

Well, after a bit of video jiggery (can't take credit for this bit) here is my best run at the side of Mikes proceeding run.

Makes interesting viewing and from my prospective no more than a slight lift required at the final courner to asses and realise there was no danger and the run was still on :p did not half make me jump though :laugh:

Think Mike had the worst of it sat on the exit of the courner with a box of neutrals, glad you found a gear mate :t-up:

Anyhow, no harm done and did not distract from a fantasitic well organised weekend.

Cheers

Fancy Mick spinning there - must be quackers :laugh:

Fancy Mick spinning there - must be quackers :laugh:

Always had issues going straight.!!!

Just a thought. On the final corner, or at least the approach would a red light system be the answer as not sure any marshals would like to sit on the outside of the final corner, similar to what is used in F1. It would be triggered by Marshall who was positioned near the control office.

Might be the answer?

Would need to be a VERY VERY BIG RED LIGHT to see through the red mist at any last corner!

Mounted on a stantion over the circuit maybe. It would be better than nothing!

And F1 drivers see the lights....and I reckon they''re faster than you Tel x

Rich

In F1 they have lots of flag Marshalls and they don't always see them. Few circuits use lights and many of us have missed the one at Mira on Tower bend.

Red lights at the Apex to corners would work I think

I have never driven an F1 car so we don't know who is fastest :laugh:

I'm sure you could train your dog to see them ;)

Nothing is fool proof, it's just a thought.

Its funny, the lights came up in conversation on the marshals post where I was; the "official" marshals were saying how much of a problem they were, particularly in F1 as drivers concentration and focus is so completely on the track, they just stare through them without seeing them, much of the time. I guess in F1 though, at least you have the radio to get messages to drivers as well. Whereas with a heavily waved flag, it does seem to get the drivers attention.

The funniest thing was watching the phenomenon at work 20" in front of me; a driver I forget who, coming down the fastest section on the back straight towards the chicane, completely oblivious to a marshal (in orange) stood right by the side of the track, in their sight line for the first apex, holding a big red flag out. It was only when the marshal started waving the flag vigorously over the edge of the track that you could see the drivers recognition kick in.

Change my option on the flag v lights debate on the spot!

When you are very focused on the next braking point / turn in point / apex -- movement (waved flag, or bright flashing light) always attracts attention *much* better than a stationary flag or solid light. Anything stationary in peripheral vision is processed by the brain as "just scenery". This is why a man in orange holding a red flag stationary in a place where men in orange always stand is so often as good as invisible.

Best event I've done for a very long time.

But can we have a photographer on site next year?

I'm after any shots of my Fiesta :d

Here's my quickest run on Sunday, 73.55s, with a 0-60 in 5.6s

I've gone for a GoPro Hero2 for 3 Sisters this weekend, so the footage quality, and sound, will be greatly improved :d