Blyton Park Sprint

Terry Everall

No No No

Just spent the weekend finding my way round anticlockwise :cry:

Rumble strips would be good! Then you know when you've crossed the white line. Tel's guide dog may not be able to tell him every time he crosses the line, but he'd feel the rumble strips. ;) ;) ;):laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Never mind the guide dog it took me 40 mins to walk around track with me walking stick :laugh:

Guide dog refuses to navigate now as I scare him to death :o

Whilst I agree that the track itself is not well defined it may be a problem if kerbs are installed as several parts require that you cross the white lines to make good speed and get the correct flow/lines through the second half of the track. It would be fine to do from last bend to the finish as you can't cross the lines anyway. I think just clearer red/white inner cones /flapper posts actually at the apexes would work ( where the blue cones were!) If the course is changed then the target times are not valid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I said kerbs, I wasn't meaning the things you trip over on your way home from the pub Terry. ;) I meant broad flat, maybe even slightly raised red and white racing jobbies.. the sort you can really attack! :cool:

I actually found the bales quite helpfull, particularly in the S bends. I'd done Blyton earlier this year, and on that day, they only had cones there, and it was very difficult to spot the line through.

Guide dog refuses to navigate now as I scare him to death :o

That's not because you are going quickly Tel, just because he knows how bad your eyesite is :o:oops:

Eyesight was not as bad as Steve's at the chicane on first practise run! :cry::o

Red and white low rumble strips at the apexes would be ok to help my poor eyesight but not between them as most of us got across the inside and outside white lines with at least 2 wheels!

I liked it as is.

Because I have poor eyesight I prefered the single cone/bale arrangement over lots of cones ( Mira, silverstone etc) as they tend to disorientate me.

Small red/white kerbs/rumbles on apex would be Ok.

Whilst I see Pauls thinking behind reversing direction I think it would slow down the esses section and the breaking into chicane, which in my mind are two of the best bits.

Stu

What was the ruling for the sprint? Two wheels over the line OK, four wheels over, no run?

Correct, except the last corner, where for safety reasons (there is an open drain near the track) one wheel over was a fail.

track layout for me was fine .but i think the finish line needs rethinking due to the ditch. people will always try harder towards the the end of day to push the limits and the timing gear will get wiped out and delays will follow. maybe move finish line to stop it being hit. and remove ditch[or cover in some way]

Yep marshals briefing made particular note of how close the finish line markers and timing gear was to the track side, and that any wheel off here would be a no-time run. I don't recall any mention of the ditch, but that may have been discussed with the marshals on the nearest post only.

Otherwise, only all four wheels off the track would have cost you a time. (And we saw a few of those at the chicane, and a couple even got some impressive air under the wheels as they bounced off the inner banking, mid-chicane.)

I think its all very good as is it. Maybe on the last bend a piece of boiler plate over the ditch for safety as you certainly wouldnt want to cross it sideways. Track is fine IMHO and like Stuart I get sever cone blindness if there are too many.

Only point I would make is like John says. Some way to stop cars on the way out of port froid if there is an incident at the finish line. Team GGR was nearly wiped out as for a long while mike was on the racing line, stuck in gear with Barry comming down the straight.

Cracking event, well run. One of the best ever.

Interesting to note, the armco at post 2, (on the chicane) did actually appear to have been built to give protection with the cars coming from the other direction - (you really wouldn't have wanted the tyre bails got rid of there.)

Purely from a marshalling point of view I would have liked to have seen a few more marshals posts, some were very widely spaced (ie between posts 1 & 2) and would have taken the marshals a long time to get to the scene of a serious incident, and yes I do realise that the rescue unit would have been deployed if needed and it would be more posts to man.

• Like 1