Petrol Prices - Wow

Pistol Pete

It'll be the same old trick of them selling the fuel in stock, that was bought when it was dearer, for a high price.

But as soon as oil goes up, the retail price does too.

Who say's you can't have your cake and eat it?

I can clearly say that its not the refiners who are ripping us off. The cost of oil to us is fixed by the oil producers within certain bounds and we process it and extract various percentages of the various products. We are buying basically cheaper crudes with sometimes chemistry issues which are harder to refine to try and make a profit without ruining the plant. Without giving too much away, like Coryton as Pete G will testify to, we aren't making much in the way of money. But the producers are, thats why they all pulled out of refining. BP sold off Grangemouth and Coryton and Shell sold off Stanlow others are struggling. They control how much we buy it for and then control how much they will buy finished product for so basically control our margins. Not ideal and other refiners like Murco are struggling big time and may also close.

We are all waiting for the recession to end but I'm not holding my breath as its not going to happen quickly.

Over supply and under demand will kill us all off then we can look forward to importing it from Holland and Asia at what cost.

Bob :(:no:

yes make the most of it.

it wont be like it long.before the gov tax goes back on it in december.

and now we are shutdown at a cost of 1 billion pounds lost revenue to the uk . which was the same this country shunk in its first 1/4 of this year expect the recession to carry on.

any one got any jobs available :down:

exactly :down: :down: :down: its 30min but worth a look even if no MP could be arsed

Ok, you forced me into it late 50s, 2shillings and 6 pence a gallon for my Royal Enfield 500 Bullet, thats about 12p a gallon or 36d to fill up.

Ok, you forced me into it late 50s, 2shillings and 6 pence a gallon for my Royal Enfield 500 Bullet, thats about 12p a gallon or 36d to fill up.

Blimey! It nearly doubled between then and 1962 when I first filled my Series M Morris Ten with el cheapo Shellmex at 4/4d :oops:

The first filling station I was manager of sold at 3/6d a gallon. We were as high priced as can be because we ran accounts for the local businesses, mostly the rag trade and ad agencies.

Huge problem at the time, the local nutters closed the Suez Canal that all the oil tankers used, the PM lost his job and we had fuel ration stamps ( just like the war ) My parents were farmers and they had a more than adequate quota of stamps, we suddenly had more friends than Lady Gaga has on Facebook. Result was we built supertankers to go around the canal probably at no extra cost but did the price go down :p :p :p :p .

Amswers on a postcard please :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think history marks the "local nutter" as Eden. I may be wrong but Nasser didn't close the canal, he took it into Egyptian ownership.

I think history marks the "local nutter" as Eden.

Who represented my local constituency at the time - after the last general election, when a Conservative got the seat back from Labour after 13 years, I took the trouble to write to him and congratulate him, adding I hoped he was somewhat more successful than clueless Eden and the disastrous local Conservatives MPs who followed, the last who held the seat for 22 years and did sweet FA, and had one of the lowest attendance records and 3rd highest outside interest and payments in Parliament. Surprisingly, he didn't reply.

/totally apolitical and back no party

//they're all as bad as each other, just different poisons

///the web site politicians tried to gag and don't want you to use - http://www.writetothem.com/

• Like 1

Nasser was getting very cosy with Russia and China,due to this we and the French refused to hand out aid for the Aswan dam, Nasser decided to nationalize the Suez Canal to make a few bob and hack off the west and whilst he perhaps did not intend to close it Israel with UK and French backing bombed Egypt, on the way back they sunk shipping in the canal and it was closed for some years. several years later the canal was reopened but the supertankers were to big so Egypt lost out again. Thats the way I remember it

I think you're correct there Iain.

It was probably the last "gunboat" diplomacy carried out by this country. A lesson that things change but some are left behind in another world.

As demand drops prices will, on average, increase to take advantage of the disproportionate distribution in wealth.

With inflation at 6-7% (realistically), £ against $ at ~1.6, The economy going nowhere fast, and tax on the increase, fuel will only get more expensive.

So what do we do. Just accept is as usual, which is probably why they rip us off at every opportunity.

They won't get away with that in France. There will be baracades in the streets, ports blocked and within 2 days the rip off merchants will back down.

Up the revolution. Power to the people. Off with their heads. We want cake.