Lost My Spark, Found My Spark, And Now It Seems Ok.

Norman Verona

Got a big smile on my face - again .... and it's not wind.

Just got an email from Ignition Car Parts Ltd. My Lucas ignition amp is repaired and will be on it's way back to me today. Price - the princely sum of £67.95 (new are £210).

I spoke the the chap who did the repair and told him my tale of woe. He says all my symptoms over the past two years are classic amp failure. Cutting out when hot when the volts drop slightly, in other words when when the engine returns to tickover. He put it on the tester and got a spark for a few seconds and then nothing.

SO, I'm a very happy bunny

Whoo Hoo

PS, I've no connection with Ignition Car Parts Ltd, Basildon. I've never heard of them before and found them on Google. What a pleasure to get good service at a good price. Lets hope it works :)

Pleased for you Norm. But 2 years to get around to sending it off for investigation? :oops:;)

I know but it wasn't obvious that it was faulty. It felt more like no fuel.

Having now put a carbon body on (carbon is a good insulator) and it only stopped when hot and then started again when cooled down I thought it was fuel vapourisation. Mind you my initial diagnosis was ignition but I couldn't find a fault and was assured that the units never had a problem.

It was only when it ceased working completely that I did some research and found lots of forum posts (on jaguar sites) describing my fault. Mind you the unit they were talking about was a much earlier one then mine which had an open PCB (mine's solid state)

Also, in mitigation, my Lord, I've had other things to deal with over the last year. And was in the UK for the 6 months before that (car here in France).

• Like 1

Very, very good news Norman, to finally get to the bottom of the problem, well done. Hope you can get back to just enjoying the car now, without those niggling hot start doubts at the back of your mind.

:yes:

Thanks Gadgetman, It will probably take a few runs out before the confidence returns.

Mind you, you did give me a few happy thoughts about going over the Cat in your post about our boys in Blue.

I used to leave home, near Ladybower, go over the Snake, left at Glossop to Chapel (past the Ferodo factory) and on to Buxton. Over the cat and then either back to the bottom of the cat or onto to Leek and back across Axe Edge.

Those were the days.

I've lived in Basildon for 50 odd years but never heard of them, whats the address Norman?

I used to leave home, near Ladybower, go over the Snake, left at Glossop to Chapel (past the Ferodo factory) and on to Buxton. Over the cat and then either back to the bottom of the cat or onto to Leek and back across Axe Edge.

Those were the days.

Thanks Norm, just did a trip down memory lane.. Used to travel those roads quite often in my younger days..O:-)

Ignition car parts Ltd

Unit 16 Ilford Trading Est

Paycocke Road

BASILDON

Essex

SS14 3DR

ed to add: Is Paycocke road for real?

7srwild, I lived in a tiny village called Low Bradfield (there is also a High Bradfield, how novel!). Drive up Bradfield Dale and you reach Mortimer Road which comes out on the A57 about a mile from the Ladybower Pub.

Mortimer Rd was built by a Sir Mortimer as a toll road to transport wool from the sheep farms to the mills. He finished the road, was penniless and then......

The government nationalised it leaving him a bankrupt.

That's not a million miles away from the route I use out to a particular client's house; over through Buxton, right turn at the Ferodo factory, (often feeling like calling in for some reason in the Westfield :suspect::blush: ) Sharp right under the low bridge to Hayfield, out towards Glossop, then drop down the windy little Monks Road to Charlesworth.

Love that part of the country.

ed to add: Is Paycocke road for real?

Oh yes, I know it well, other strange roads in Basildon Cowslip Mead, Pomfret Mead, Roodegate. :d

You forgot Thundersley.

Do a nice pub lunch in the Ladybower, one little point from earlier, is carbon fibre not a good conductor that's why anglers were getting electrocuted all over the place. Pleased to hear that progress has been made with the ignition system just need those bl**dy tiles to stick and your off. Little bit of rotovating when your backs better and hey ho summers gone. Are you considering having one of those spare ignition packs which you were offered, may be worthwhile, just in case. My mate had some issues with his DTA ECU which appear to be other electrical issues not ECU, DTA were very generous and gave him a spare ECU which is now strapped to his original one. As long as its there it will according to sods law never go wrong again. Should be back on in the next few days??

Good luck

Bob :d

I know the landlord, landlady (cordon bleu) and a few of the staff in the Ladybower. The South Yorkshire Caterham group meet there. They chose it after we moved here, before that it was way over the other side of Sheffield near the M1.

Got another email saying they have had to increase the charge as the postage had been calculated for th UK. Still happy, not their fault I live in France.

I forgot about the vegie garden and using the rotovator. Just another job to add to the list.

I may ask for one of those units from ROOS, depends how much he wants for it.

Tiles are being left until my back is fully healed, no point in going round in circles with it.

I reckon the unit will be back for next Monday. I'm contemplating moving it somewhere cooler. It's on the front of the pedal box at the moment. I'll have a look later.