5 Speed Box For Pre-Lit

dirty diamond

Hi all, just wondering which is the best gearbox to fit in a pre-lit. I seem to recall someone telling me the type 9 was the slimmest but there seems to be a lot more mt 75's at a more reasonable cos.t Also I notice westfield do remote for the mt 75 but i havent seen one for the type 9. Any advice would be gratefully recieved. dd

Westfield built a new version of the chassis with a wider transmission tunnel when it introduced the MT75 gearboxes to it's cars I'm afraid.

When the Prelit chassis was designed, even the Type 9 was almost considered a "new" gear box! So really, it's a Type 9 or a four speed.

What's in at the moment? cause even that will affect how much work is needed to fit a Type 9.

Thanks Gadgetman, the 4 speed I have in at the moment has the reverse next to first gear but I don't know what type it is, regards, dd

If you go on to the Burton Power web site, they have an excellent transmission guide. Sounds like a Type E.

Curse you, Gadgetman! :d

Your current four speed is most likely a Type 3 or Type E, changing to a type 9 from the the Type E is a staight swap but the geabox mount requires moving back, for the Type 3 it is a little more costly as the bellhousing, clutch, crb and crb will also require changing (but not the mount).

Personally it may be worth looking at a BGH close ratio 4 speed box unless you really really want a fifth gear. They also do 5 speeds boxes but then the price rises quite a bit. This would still require the above work but really does suit a westy much better than a standard ratio box.

If you keep your fingers crossed and the wind blows in the right direction it may be a rocket box, in which case you could fit Quaife straight cut close ratio gears, that would transform your car :)

As far as I can tell (from research) the term 'Rocket Box' was slang used for the competition ratio box based on the Type E box.

I've got a Pre-Lit fitted with a 1700 xflow and type 9 which you're welcome to look at. Or if you're not local I'm happy to photograph. I live in South Bucks.

Quite right Pistol, a close ratio version of the type E. Not sure if they had any further mods though.

i wouldnt bother with a five speed unless your doing a lot of motorway miles

some good ratios will transform the car

i run a 4.1 diff 205/60/13 tyres and that gives 123mph at 7500rpm

dont think you would want to go faster than that

type 9 is about 12kg heavier as well