• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• westy21

• Geoff101

• adamnreeves

The fixing of registration plates on a motor vehicle is governed by The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001.

The relevant section for front plates is as follows:

Fixing of front registration plates: vehicles registered on or after the relevant date

6.—(1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines, first registered on or after the relevant date.

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (5), a registration plate must be fixed on the front of the vehicle in the manner required by paragraph (3).

(3) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed—

(a)vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable,

(b)in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (4).

(4) The diagonal length of the relevant area is—

(a)in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is at least 57 millimetres, 22 metres,

(b)in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 50 millimetres, 21.5 metres,

©in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 44 millimetres, 18 metres.

For me, it's section 6-3-a:-

vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable,

On the nose of a Westfield, I would argue that there is no reasonably practical place to mount a registration plate 'cos it's too easy to knock off in the "natural" position. If a stick on registration plate is affixed to the front of the nose with the relevant reflectivity, correctly spaced letters and appropriate BSi markings I would argue that reasonable steps had been taken to comply with the letter of the law and I personally would have no issue going to court to defend myself on that basis. Doesn't mean I'd win, but I'd be happy to test the regulations in court should a worst case scenario arise.

I have seen stick on plates with the appropriate BSi marking...

rattridge,

Your spring release idea sounds interesting. I have heard others suggest such a system but have not yet managed to fathom the mechanics of how it works. I would be keen to hear more from you . Just one thing , what do you mean by the abbreviation 'PM' so that l can send you an email ? Apologies for my ignorance !

Nigel.

its is done by putting the spring slightly bent witch holds the alloy back plate forward ,then it bends easy when knocked or bonnet lifted ,

Blatman's last post "hits the nail on the head". That would be my argument as well, in the unlikely event of a policeman pulling me up and reporting me.

As a signmaker, I've made loads of them, but not in recent years as it's now illegal for me to do so as I'm not registered, and they're just so cheap off ebay it's not worth the effort.

It is true that without the registered makers postcode they're not technically legal, the penalty is usually of no significance.

Police can however take your plates and leave you stranded at the side of the road if they chose to be difficult. Your car would have to then be trailered or sit there till you got legal plates.

In the real world, all my private plates are made by approved car supplies places etc, as you can lose the right to your number, the other stuff I just knock up myself.

I've made plates for my bikes and kit cars to suit, just been semi-sensible, and never had a problem.

This isn't an advert, but a gesture to Westfield owners, should anyone want anything made that is either very specific, or cannot be made by average sign company, message me and I'll either do it or point you in the right direction.

After breaking two standard front plates on gutters i ordered a bike sized one off ebay for a tenner - search 'show plates'

Think it was 12"x3" oblong with standard font,so easily legible

Never pulled ,always passed mot and looks great

I do understand,however,that its not legal but its the best solution i found

My care passed an MOT this very week with stick on plates on the nose cone..... need to upgrade to something legal next year... ;-)

I intent to have a stick on front plate and will use the defence outlined by Blatman above however, just a caution, there is a big difference between the meaning of practical and practicable which is perhaps best understood if you consider the difference in meaning between impractical and impracticable - one allows a degree of judgement the other doesn't. Therefore it could be argued that it is impractical to fit a full size plate on the underside of a Westfield's nose cone because it will routinely broken off however it is practible to fit one because you can.

im·prac·ti·ca·ble

   /ɪmˈpræktɪkəbəl/ Show Spelled[im-prak-ti-kuh-buhl] Show IPA

adjective

1. Not practicable; incapable of being put into practice with the available means: an impracticable plan.

2. Unsuitable for practical use or purposes, as a device or material.

3. (of ground, places, etc.) impassable.

4. (of persons) hard to deal with because of stubbornness, stupidity, etc.

From Dictionary.com

Definition No.2 does it for me...