Fitting Number Plate On Front Of Fw Single Piece Bonnet

westy21

I have just had the enjoyable experience of passing the IVA and am trying to find the best way to attach the front number plate to the FW Single Piece Bonnet without the plate hitting the ground when l lift the bonnet. The use of the stick-on plates on to the top of the nose piece seems an obvious answer but l understand they are illegal. Another way would be to hinge the plate on the underside of the nose so that it could be folded back flat under the nose before lifting the bonnet. This seems a hastle and l would probably forget so has anyone had the same experience and how did they resolve the problem.

Nigel.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• westy21

• Geoff101

• adamnreeves

I've got a stick on on the top of the nose. No one has complained about it so far.

It is illegal but I've had one for about 18 years and never been stopped for an illegal front plate and always passed the MOTs.

And mine is too small and square.

I've fitted a slightly smaller than usual plate under the grill with good quality Velcro.

It actually acts as a rest for the bonnet as it touches down first !

Sick on for 4 years was some threads some time ago suggesting small plates caused more issues re legality.

Thanks Guys for all your responses. The general themes seem to be using the stick-on type of plate on the front of the bonnet. Enquiries of my local Auto Spares shops for these stick on plates has drawn a blank because they advise about their illegality. I am prepared to give them a go but is there a preferred supplier that l should use?

Nigel.

I used crafty plates on eBay as listed above

Excellent quality, I went for a union jack with 3D legal style font

They are full size, and legible.

Bob

Had a stick on one on mine when it left the factory, but it now has a 3/4 size plate fixed with velcro to the flat lip underneath the nose cone. It does touch the ground first but never needs to be pressed back on and has never fallen off.

Thanks Guys for all your responses. The general themes seem to be using the stick-on type of plate on the front of the bonnet. Enquiries of my local Auto Spares shops for these stick on plates has drawn a blank because they advise about their illegality. I am prepared to give them a go but is there a preferred supplier that l should use?

Nigel.

The "Factory" supplied mine :t-up:

I have an FW with a stick on plate and it's just passed mot a month ago in N.I. which is a lot tougher than an English mot!

:d all of which doesnt alter the fact that they're basically not legal...

The majority of people that have them seem to have managed OK, but all it takes is one bored copper!

If you want to put one on, fine, go ahead - but do it knowing it's at your own risk. You don't HAVE to have one - there are enough photos of FW nosed cars with regular plates, so basically take the risk if you want, and if (in the fairly unlikely) event you get pulled, accept the consequences.

You don't HAVE to have one - there are enough photos of FW nosed cars with regular plates, so basically take the risk if you want, and if (in the fairly unlikely) event you get pulled, accept the consequences.

No front number plate is illegal as well. Personally, I'd do what the factory do, use a stick-on plate of correct dimensions and letter/number style. Then the only offence is that it isn't on a flat surface. However it is the flatest which is practically available, so you are least likely to get "pulled".

As to where to get them, there is a firm, from Ireland if I remember correctly, who supply them as "show" plates. Cant remember their name, but it is on the internet. Thinking about it, it may be Craig's Plates. Google is your friend! ;)

Yup, its Craigsplates. I've been running one of theirs for over 3 years.

Edited by stephenh

I have probably aggravated this issue by installing a bonnet stay that holds the bonnet firm while giving me great access. It does however leave only an inch or two of ground clearance under the nose when propped open. I could shorten the stay but this would defeat the objective of good access and gain very little extra in ground clearance.

Nigel.