Zetec Oil Pressure

tommy holly

Hi out in the car this morning when i noticed the oil pressure is only half a bar on tickover and about three and a half bar at around 3000 revs, the water temp is 85 to 88, checked oil thats ok and clean is this anything to worry about

Cheers Tommy

Hot pressures on mine are :

2.2 bar tick over

4.5 ish bar moving

10W40 semi synthetic

Blacktop zetec

Have they dropped ? From usual, seems a little low, could be the sender ?

I'm sure someone with a better zetec knowledge will be along soon...

Bob

No idea on the oil in mind but my 1.8 silver top is, once hot 2.5bar at idle and c4.5bar with my foot down.

1/2bar at tickover is too low! Mine's is:

2.5bar @ tickover

4.5bar @ 3000rpm

*2.0ltr zetec silvertop with 5w/30

Ok i thought it was a bit low myself mine is also a 2.0 silvertop and using 5w/30 semi synthetic, has anybody got any ideas what the problem my be, or am i being a bit paranoid becouse the car is running ok apart from one noisy tappet

I'd repeat what Bob said, what were the pressures and has it dropped suddenly?

If its always been like that it may be something odd with the oil choice, (i dont know Zetec's and their preferences) or just be general engine wear, poor relief valve on the pump, worn pump or so forth. In which case, you could overhaul the engine, it'll need attention sooner or later.

However, if it's had more normal pressures up to now, (similar to what others have listed) and its just dropped to this, you need to investigate immediately! The tappet may just be a lazy tappet, but it could also be the first of many impending failures.

Half a bar compared to 2.5 is seriously low!

I'd check the state of the oil filter and the pressure relief valve in the pump first. (Not heard of it as a particular failure point on Zetec's but XE's are known to do it, if the valve sticks open, you have almost no pressure).

Check the condition of the oil too.

Oil pressure is essentially generated by the pump forcing the oil through a series of obstructions, in the form of the bearings. Typically main bearings first, then big ends. At the same time oil will work its way to the top of the head and force through the cam bearings and into the tappets. (Hydraulic ones, anyway).

No pressure either means no pumping effort from the pump, either cause it can't pick up enough oil, can't force the oil through the pump (because of internal wear or damage) or because the relief valve is allowing the pressure to be lost. Or because of a failed filter.

If the pump is giving good output, then no/minimal pressure is because the obstructions, (bearings), aren't doing there job. Gaps too big through wear or damage, or a hole where there shouldn't be one etc.

I think that its always been low but noticed it today with the weather being hot so maybe it could be the oil sender

Indeed, it's always worth checking the basics before starting to pull major bits apart! If you can beg or borrow one, a mechanical oil pressure gauge will give you the most accurate confirmation of what your pressure actually is.

Has your tickover speed dropped with the hot weather, mine has by about 200rpm or almost 20%. My oil pressure is normally 1.5-1.7bar at 1000rpm and up to 20'c ambient, but dropped to 1.2-1.3 at 800rpm all at 85'C ish water temp and 28'c ambient. Nothing has changed just the tickover speed due to the weather I guess, less dense air etc. Some people with lumpy cams like a 1000-1100rpm tickover some with smoother engines go for a lot less and it does make a difference. Are you comparing the before and after pressures at the same revs at or about the same speed after all its a mechanical oil pump and needs to be . I double checked mine by going out later in the evening when it had cooled a bit and all was back to normal. No real change to max pressure that I could notice @ approx 4.5bar. Reconfirmed the next day, all in the cause of science I may add and again my tickover was lower than normal with the corrsponding oil pressure drop. Maybe it's because Cheshire is baking at the moment anyway, but you do say it was in the morning and maybe a bit cooler. I would be investigating further if mine were 0.5bar at normal tickover though. When did you last have an oil/filter change.

Might have to go a do some testing this morning :p

Bob :(

As said, verify the pressure with a different gauge first.

Next thing I'd do is check the pressure relief valve, I think. If that has stuck open the symptom would be low pressure at idle but building up to a reasonable level at higher revs.

Mine sits at no lower than about 1.5 bar at a hot idle (1000 RPM) and is around 3.5 bar when on the move (but I have an oil cooler that results in a small pressure drop). That's on 5w30 oil.

hi got a new sender to try,the pressure relief valve is worth checking does anybody know where its situated.

hi got a new sender to try,the pressure relief valve is worth checking does anybody know where its situated.

It's on the oil pump IIRC :)

Clicky, Any help?

Sorry for the thread hi-jack but I've kind of got the opposite.

Brand new black top with millers 10w 40 running in oil, and a couple of secs after starting the oil pressure goes up to 90psi (which is max) and does not drop as it gets hotter.

Is this okay and just becuase everything is tight, or have I a fault?

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks,

Doug

Doug,

The figures I listed above we're relevant for Westfields "Running in oil"

And

Halfords 10W40 semi synthetic as "Blessed" by the factory

Yours seems high...

Mine drops a little bit after 6ish miles or when the oil goes over 85degC to the hot pressures listed above.

Cheers Bob