Bought It, Track It, Blew It

EPC

I don't know much. But 1 thing I have learnt so far is that silicon and engines don't go together well.

I have planned to use a standard gasket. Will this not do the job??

Mine weeped from the front curve near the bottom pulley! Just put a new gasket on this week and used proper sump sealer on the half round where there are no bolts just to make sure ran around fifty miles in three days! Dry as a nuns now!

As long as you use decent sealer thats designed for engines ive never had an issue! Ill be keeping an eye on mine and the oil light after reading your issue!

As long as you use the right product, in the right fashion, it's fine. As an example, Alfa moved from using sump gaskets to using sealant on their V6 engines. No component changes whatsoever, just a change of technique. IIRC, so did Rover on the V8. On the Alfa at least, a properly glued sump would never leak. Gasketed ones often did after a few years/miles. Most OEMs these days seem to use a bead of goo where they can get away with it for pretty much all joints that they don't expect to have to come apart I think. Guess it's cheaper.

I always make sure I buy the right product for these jobs as I said before. Sometimes it's pricey, but you've certainly experienced the pain of someone using the wrong stuff.

I don't know much. But 1 thing I have learnt so far is that silicon and engines don't go together well.

I have planned to use a standard gasket. Will this not do the job??

As has been stated, the std gasket REQUIRES additional sealant on the corners where it rises over the crank. Most silicone issues are due to the user not the product IMO.

Alladin, that will depend on the engine in question.

Some gaskets are impregnated with a compound and should not have anything else added.

Hylomar was developed by Rolls Royce for their face fitting assemblies on the all alloy V8 in the Shadow. It was very expensive at the time. I'm a fan and use it where I can. 

The secret of getting the cross flow sump in without dislodging the gasket and corks is to get someone (what are wives for)  to lift the sump on a jack while you get it in position so it goes straight up (ooeerr missus). Trying to get it in on your own will almost certainly move a cork piece.