20,000 Miles Mot

CJspeedsport

My car is going in for MOT next week and has done 21,000 miles. Apart from an oil change and break fluid change, given that I don't know a great deal about the history of the car, should I be asking for anything else to be checked?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Certainly the coolant as well as the other usual checks, fuel and air filters.

*all IMHO naturally

• Like 1

Helps a lot if you've got a friendly/enthusiastic MOTer at a decent garage; not 'cause they're going to miraculously bend the rules, for many of our cars this will be one of few occasions when they're up on the ramps with an experienced and hopefully knowledgeable third party casting an eye over them.

It's always one of two mechanics at the same garage that do mine, and both know to point out and mention anything they spot that they think might need attention, even if it's not on the MOT and not actually a problem yet. Gives me a bit more peace of mind, and helps on the preventative maintenance side.

• Like 1

I agree with Gadgetman - a look over by second pair of eyes is worth it's weight in gold.

(not sure how much a look over weighs though)

This is why I don't quite get all the moaning about MOT after IVA. Why wouldn't you want a routine check on a home made car? Small price to pay IMO

because its a waste of your money :p

Depends on many things, but personally, I think it's a good idea. An IVA and an MOT test different things. Willing to guarantee that every car issued an IVA will last 3 years with no problems? Not all builders are equally capable or rigorous, nor are all kits the same, nor is the quality of parts used. An IVA on a cheap Chinese copy track rod end will pass fine, but how long will that part last?

The last car I built had an SVA and had a pre test MOT for my own peace of mind, and had one every year thereafter. More than happy to know somebody other than just me was checking it over.

YMMV

This is why I don't quite get all the moaning about MOT after IVA. Why wouldn't you want a routine check on a home made car? Small price to pay IMO

because its a waste of your money :p

Totally agree with Pete. You've just paid out £450 and had a trained VOSA inspector crawl around you car for 4 hours. In it's first 3 years I life I very much doubt much changes on a newly built westfield, and if it does then the owner probably built or bought themself the wrong Westfield :d As a car becomes older, parts wear and perish and things change, at that time an MOT becomes more important.