Whats This Reservoir For?

Dave the Sparky

008-4.jpg

Its right behind the dash board in the middle, the top is yellow...

Clutch maybe.

1. clutch

Usually found on Miata,s. Vasaline container.......

• Like 1

I thought it might be the clutch but a friend said it was cable not hydraulic? I want to know what everythings for, and hopefully take care of it myself...

Stripped headlights last night and took cover off the drive shaft column ready for a bit more carbon fibre, its too cold for driving so may as well get the tinkering out of the way...

depends what year your engine is ,some blades had hydro clutch most had cable

think 04 had hydraulic

depends what year your engine is ,some blades had hydro clutch most had cable

think 04 had hydraulic

Cars a 2001, Im going to ring tomorrow Steve get a price off you to give the car a good once-over and probably a service before I start enjoying it!

Usually found on Miata,s. Vasaline container.......

That's the funniest thing I have read today :)

Could it be a catch tank for the reverse gearbox....not that they ever breathe or leak ;)

How about a wider angle picture of the engine bay - would be easier to spot if there's another obvious brake reservoir....it could be that, but unusual place for it. I'm assuming its not a catch tank of any kind as it has fluid sitting in it, which I would have thought would run back down.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx350/smigga46/008-2.jpg

looking at this pic of your engine bay the brake resovoir is where it should be and the clutch is cable operated by the looks of it ,and that resovoir is above the tunnel so maybe reverse box resovoir for some reason

Without wanting to state the obvious, :blush: how come you can't trace the hose? Where does it go once it's gone through the scuttle? Down through the transmission tunnel top? Is there actually fluid in it, or is it just the tide mark left from fluid in it? (If so could it be a breather catch tank?)

If it has got fluid in, what's the fluid like? Hydraulic fluid or regular oil?

Empty it, then take the car out for a blat - it should quickly become evident what it's for and you can then refill it, providing you survive.