Tried Out New Iphone App Today (Trackcam)

leemarkadams

How long did it take to export?

Just done another 21 min video and it took 1hr 20mins to export it!!!!!!!! I will more than likely end up just keeping all my videos in the app and then export them when I have finished a track day etc

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• leemarkadams

• Young Pretender

• evo97

• 80BSY

Thanks, been looking at various mounts for mountain bikes so may get one of them and see if i can modify it to fit the roll bar? Will also need to look at running a power cable I reckon as the app/gps will drain the battery power quite a bit I reckon!

Used this to mount onto my rollbar but you also have in the kit a u bolt left over to use for handlebars if required.

http://www.ram-mount.co.uk/ubolt-and-utv-strap-base-with-1-ball-p-1265-c-238_286.html

Ordered from these guys....delivered free next day!!! http://www.buybits.com/Default.aspx

You will also need a ball and socket, 1" arm and the iphone holder itself, Let me know if you want the part no's

Nathan

Used this to mount onto my rollbar but you also have in the kit a u bolt left over to use for handlebars if required.

http://www.ram-mount...-c-238_286.html

Ordered from these guys....delivered free next day!!! http://www.buybits.com/Default.aspx

You will also need a ball and socket, 1" arm and the iphone holder itself, Let me know if you want the part no's

Nathan

Could you pse send the part numbers too, as that may well be an option?

300mph on the speedo? A tad optimistic...

Will get the parts no's when i get home mate.

Came to a little over £50 but my main concern was a well made and secure mount as didnt fancy loosing a iphone.

Nathan.

There is a free app caled "Dash cam" which uses the camera to video and overlays a google map plus distance speed etc- worth a look too

Looks really good Nathan. Would be very interested to see if this provides a stable-ish image.

Just done another 21 min video and it took 1hr 20mins to export it!!!!!!!! I will more than likely end up just keeping all my videos in the app and then export them when I have finished a track day etc

Mine was at about 4 hours when I left it and went to bed, so I've no idea how long it took. It's a 3GS though albeit running the latest iOS. Probably loads better with a 4. On the plus side I have my vid :laugh:

looks like it takes a while to update the speed when you slow down / accelerate. Is that the gps or is it damped?

Couldn't tell you about that software but I wrote an android app which has a lap timer in it, g-meter etc and the rate at which you get information from the gps sensor is quite slow using the internal gps. It's something like 5hz which is why it may seem slow to update.

I have to do an awful lot of extrapolation to do things like determining when you cross the start/finish lines and to measure 0-60 times and so on because of the slow update rate. If that app is doing a lot of other stuff like processing video it's possible that the update rate may be affected depending on how efficiently it was written.

Essentially phone apps like this and the one I wrote are good toys but can't produce data as accurately as a dedicated system (unless it's a crap one with a 5hz gps ;)).

Mark

Edited by dern

Well. the griffin survivor case I ordered arrived:

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Just need to see if there is a way to fix that to the roll bar, as looking at the ram mount it does not appear to protect the phone itself that much?

Had a bit of time so had a mess about with the griffin case to mount it to the rollbar, so removed the belt clip from the retaining strap and mounted the strap to the roll bar using cable ties:

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

Used an old retaining strap I had lying about to secure it even more and here we go:

IMG_0006.jpg

th_IMG_0593.jpg

Only problem so far is the fact that I will not be able to charge the iphone at the same time, so will look into that at some stage too.

I have a griffin case for mine, but bulky, but got used to it quickly enough. They do make a mount for that case, but cable ties and strap are more secure than a bracket can be.

Does look good :-) Whats the video quality? Can you get HD on the iPhone?

1080p no less on a 4s! Think ill be getting a Griffin survivor case now......

You can get some great results on the iPhone 4S, im using mine as the second cam' with a HD Hero2 mounted in the more exposed on car positions. :cool: