Problems...please Help!

CJspeedsport

SO...

A little update...not much has changed but my wallet is considerably thinner!

Took the car in for tuning and paid a considerable amount of cash for a car that still can't rev past 5500 in 1st gear and only revs to 6500 in 2nd, 3rd etc.

Now, understand that I'm a TOTAL noob with regard these things so I'm not entirely sure what was going on, but was initially told that a limiter was set at 5500 (why was I able to rev way past to 7200 ish under gentle acceleration?) and this could be removed. When I returned to pick the car up I was told it was sorted, so was surprised to find that 1st gear was exactly the same. When I expressed my surprise I was told that the injectors were too small for the set up I have (that is, Jenvy TB's) and that the problem would be sorted with new injectors and a few more hours of tuning...so not sorted really. Anyway, despite being quoted £x to solve the problem, I had to pay £x + £y due to how difficult the garage found it to get connected to my car and how long it took (despite me advising previously that the car was fitted with a very old ECU requiring a Windows 2000 laptop with a serial port). Needless to say I didn't feel great about this.

(On the plus side, Andrew from Toybox (the dealer I purchased the car from) did agree to pay half of the cost of the session, as a gesture of good will, which took some of the sting out of it!)

After some deliberation and further reading, I decided I'd give new injectors and the additional tuning a go, so got in touch with the garage and arranged to pop in for them to determine what injectors I had (I thought they knew which ones I had, because they knew that they were too small...?). As I arrived at the garage the heavens opened, so I carefully pulled into a space just inside, only to be unceremoniously (read rudely) waved out, back into the pouring rain. After climbing out and getting totally soaked in the process I walked in to where everyone was gathered around a bench looking at a component and was advised that cars were being moved so I couldn't park inside. On learning that they only wanted to take a photo of my engine and I wasn't allowed in the dry for this process, I left, and went home (luckily just around the corner) to give the car a wipe down. I'm disappointed due to the garage being so local to me, but I won't be going back to them again. (Probably seems overly sensitive, but I like to be treated slightly better than that).

SO, I’m now heading over to Interpro in Bristol (seem very amicable and helpful on the phone) for them to have a butchers. Fingers crossed.

Unless by going somewhere else it massively inconveniences you I would be telling these inconsiderate oafs to take a long hike, which I guess is what you are doing, vote with your feet. Customer service bullsh1t. Who pays their wages you could ask. They should have diagnosed any issues and told you what the issues were and with your agreement to spend more they should have sorted it. So far you have spent good money and only got a maybe lets swap some parts answer. Possibly a correct one but still no guarantees or are there. Not very professional IMHO.

Better luck with your next tuners

Bob :angry:

I've not had these experiences so can't offer any advice. Only to say that a number of Bristol based kit car owners that i know use interpro and seem to speak very highly of them.

• Like 1

Hi mate firstly where abouts in Cardiff are you, Im over in culver house cross....

Secondly i have a very different engine set u but had a similar problem if not more severe, I could rev up to 8k if I blipped the throttle but if i dumped the accelerator the engine just died, Turns out it was restricted air into the carbs dont know if its possible you could have anything similar..?

I am taking my westie to http://www.willfieldmotors.co.uk/ in Aberdare to put it on the rolling road and a tune as its local and he seems to know what hes chatting about.

I had a very similar problem a few years ago with my 1800 Speedsport (registered in 2002). After some tinkering and some suggestions from the boardroom it appeared that the fuel map on full trottle and high revs was too rich which was causing a misfire. Hence why if you accellerate gradually, i.e. not on full throttle, you don't get the problem. To check this out I used the EasiMap software to reduce the overall fuel gain and this seemed to reduce the problem. I then used the logging features of Easimap to work out which sites in the fuel map were causing the problem then edited these specifically.

This seemed to fix it for me.

Hello,

Here's the sort of graph you'll see if you go the Easimap route, you want to use Easimap 4 with the MBE956E. (http://www.mbesystems.com/support.html) I'm guessing you may have some odd values in the 12-15 TPS line at mid revs which are causing your problem...

Actually I've just spotted your other thread!! I've had it working on my Windows 7 machine with a USB -> Serial converter (a FTDI chipset one like this: http://www.tronisoft...rod.php?id=2455) and a made up MBE/ SBD lead. (http://www.sbdev.co....d%20Diagram.gif) But I do seem lucky, lots of other people have had problems getting later Windows and USB-> Serial converters to work...

Probably best to take the car to a RR though for piece of mind. I made the lead up as I wanted to have a look 'under the bonnet', I wouldn't do any major changes myself. I'm saving my pennies for a trip to Northampton Motorsport hopefully in the next few months :d

4423613440_af54339748_b.jpg

Good Luck,

Dom

My advice would be drive that bit further and see troy at NOrthampton Motor sport. Long distance yes, but he has seen evy possible Westfield engine and ecu configuration and has seen air restriction, small injectors, p*** poor mapping the lot. Yes a big trip, but garented success.

I may not be a total numpyt, but ecu mapping and adjustments are out of my scope, so I trust a man to do the job. Mine and many websites have been here countless times for tweaks and upgrades, so totally endorsed by the club and this long term member at least.

• Like 1

Don't know if its any help but I had exactly the same problems with my 1800 SpeedSport (year 2000 model), it would rev up to the full limiter (about 7000) on partial throttle but on full throttle would hit a false limiter at about 5000 rpm.

I took mine to see Troy and NMS for a remap to fix the problem as Westfield weren't being much help - from memory I think it was running very lean on the standard map too. Basically the standard injectors (red webber ones on mine I think) were marginal at the pre-set fuel pressure so they were reaching 100% duty cycle. I remember takling to Troy about new injectors but he said to increase the fuel pressure which as it turned out worked fine and was considerably cheaper.

I'm running 164 bhp (crank) on a standard 1800 SpeedSport but its been running fine for many years since Troy worked his magic.

• Like 1

Don't know if its any help but I had exactly the same problems with my 1800 SpeedSport (year 2000 model), it would rev up to the full limiter (about 7000) on partial throttle but on full throttle would hit a false limiter at about 5000 rpm.

I took mine to see Troy and NMS for a remap to fix the problem as Westfield weren't being much help - from memory I think it was running very lean on the standard map too. Basically the standard injectors (red webber ones on mine I think) were marginal at the pre-set fuel pressure so they were reaching 100% duty cycle. I remember takling to Troy about new injectors but he said to increase the fuel pressure which as it turned out worked fine and was considerably cheaper.

I'm running 164 bhp (crank) on a standard 1800 SpeedSport but its been running fine for many years since Troy worked his magic.

I'm hoping for something similar :t-up:, I'm running 140bhp at the moment and reckon I should see 160bhp with a remap. I've just fitted a Fuel Pressure Regulator so hopefully it will make fuel pressure easier to tweak... :cool: Hopefully booking in with Troy soon...

From what you say I would guess that your injectors are too small and that on full throttle you are hitting 100% duty which feels like a rev limiter coming in. Accelerate gradually and you use less fuel thus no where near 100% duty thus get to true rev limit.

Whot he said.

Sorry if I had seen this post earlier it may have saved you some grief. The red weber injectors fitted with many of the westfield throttle body conversions are too small and when the injectors reach 100% duty cycle the ecu brings in a very harsh rev cut to protect the engine. This is why the engine will rev out at less than 100 % throttle as the injectors are not maxed out. In most cases on a standard 1800 with TB's you can get away with turning up the fuel pressure and mapping the engine correctly, if the engine has performance cams then you will need bigger injectors.

Mr Speedsport,

You have rightly posted on this forum asking for advice and solution to a problem. Most of the suggestions people have made you seem to have tried and have failed.

The one common theme though is that despite several people advising you to take it to Northampton motorsport, you see determined not to take this advice, and take it to a local garage. WHY goodness me! You may have saved a few gallons of fuel but as expected you have still been left poorer as a result and still have the problem.

Northampton Motorsport themselves have even posted on your threads offering assistance, which speaks volumes for thier customer service.

I have no connection with NHM and have been fortunate enough not to require thier services, however i know plenty of poeple that have and have been very pleased with the results.

stop dicking about and get yer car to them before you damage it.

Good Luck

Edited by mark.anson

Thanks for the advice guys, and thanks especially NMS. I'm fairly certain that the car doesn't have perfromance cams, so hopefully it will be a relatively easy job to sort given that I now know what I know! Interpro have been dealing with Westfields and in particular MBE ECU's for some time and are picking up the car next week and I feel confident in their abilities. Having said that, with all of their positive feedback and advice, if it wasn't for the stupid trailer 1997 add on to a driving licence I'd be hauling it up to NMS asap!

The one common theme though is that despite several people advising you to take it to Northampton motorsport, you see determined not to take this advice, and take it to a local garage. WHY goodness me!

What?! Did you read the thread in reverse?! :oops: