[#10146] You Do Not Have Permission To Use The Search System.

WestfieldMX5

If you don't like it then................. Jog on................... :cry:

• Like 3

And CC

Just as an aside, to raise this. There's a reason you don't pay for facebook etc. - YOU are their product. They make money from you by selling your details and browsing habits to advertisers. Don't think for a minute that they're free - you pay in other ways - with your personal data. For this reason I don't use FB, use a 'privacy' google index (startingpage.com) and am anonymous on twitter.

Yes, I know this :)

However, the more people on this forum, the more the club can charge advertisers. See what I did there ;)

And the people on this forum are the reason you'd want to join it.

You haven't mitigated the other car forums though.

What i'm saying is that members will not leave if we open up the forum, but the potential audience we could grab would be higher, thus we would get more people signing up for the good of the club (rather than to use a PM system) and could charge more for advertising.

I suppose it's ultimately how you see the club. I'd like to see it benefit the future Westfield owner and not just the current ones.

This forum is quite possibly the first thing many a potential owner sees regarding Westfields and I think it should be as welcoming as possible.

The For Sale thread hurts members more than non members. Plenty of cars on pistonheads/ebay that don't require a potential buyer to fork out money.

And people might not want to stick their personal mobile/email address on the advert, hence using a PM

Interesting to see that Cpatain Colinal like posts that demonstrate keyboard warriors.

I wonder if, at a show, WSCC would turn visitor away from the tent because they weren't members?

We could have the very slogan outside 'Pay up, or jog on'.

Maybe a bit harsh.

How about 'You can enter the tent, but unless you are a member, you can't speak.'

:)

Edited by rocket_rabbit

Interestingly at the moment there are 20 members online, of which 6 (including me) have not paid the subscription yet, and 44 guests with 3 anonymous users.

Edited by kitemark

Interesting to see that Cpatain Colinal like posts that demonstrate keyboard warriors.

Gee...I never knew you cared! :love::laugh: (But try spelling my name correctly in future if you want my love.)

Another benefit of joining - you can "like" a post. Just because they disagree with you in a less subtle fasion than I do doesn't make them keyboard warriors, it just makes them more direct and less waffley and more diplomatic than me on this subject (actually, I've met the Lipmeister and a nicer man you could never meet - unless you upset his family, in which case you'd better like dentists and hospital food).

The dark side banned non-members from its forum. The thing died (imho).

This club allows non members to view and post on the forum. That should be enough. It is right that non members shouldn't have all the privileges that members have, to turn your argument upside down, there wouldn't be many members.

Just for the record the dark side charges about double for membership than the WSCC. For less than 8p per day I doubt you'll find better value in any car club.

• Like 6

I "liked" that, Norman - apologies if that makes you a "keyboard warrior". ;)

Best to Lynne! :yes:

Why not completely ban non-members?

Make the forum strictly for paid members....so we can't come.

Nah - I'd only apply a ban on guests to either rude guests, or guests who have a long and distinguished history of posting idiotic, ignorant, pointless and generally useless comments that add nothing to the community.

The dark side banned non-members from its forum. The thing died (imho).

This club allows non members to view and post on the forum. That should be enough. It is right that non members shouldn't have all the privileges that members have, to turn your argument upside down, there wouldn't be many members.

Just for the record the dark side charges about double for membership than the WSCC. For less than 8p per day I doubt you'll find better value in any car club.

The whole argument against is that members wouldn't renew if forum was free to all.

The forum is but part of what the WSCC is about, and a small part at that. It is certainly not the reason I became a member.

However, it is significant, moreso to the future members.

I suppose the most direct comparison would be locostbuilders which offers free everything but delyaed viewing to the latest FS items.

It hurts members more than non members. But that actually might be the preference of the establishment.

I agree with Captain for he is the finest purveyor of Pringles and Popcorn to the Boardroom :laugh:;) if you don't want to pay up then put up / shut up about what you think you should and shouldn't be able to do :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

• Like 4

Oh Wise And Wonderous Spreader Of Emoticons, I thank thee! Your free one month shipment of Pringles is on its way!

Not knowing how the forums have now been hosted and built, is there a way to allow non members to search 5 or 10 times before membership is required to continue to use the function. when i first started looking at the site the search and find features were the best way to confirm that the forums and membership were worth paying for.

As mentioned in previous posts there are other ways to search but if the WSCC wants to entice new members and prove that there is a knowledge base worth paying for maybe a try before you buy option would help? i know there are ways round the WSCC search by using google, but the majority of users who own a car will not be bothered with the effort.

As things stand at the moment all i can see happening is more time being spent for the moderators clearing repeat questions of things that could be easily resolved with a few free searches.

Just to muddy the waters...

I posted that "guide" because the original search engine had been badly broken for YEARS, yet only a handful of us ever seemed to notice! So it couldn't have been that big a deal breaker :)

Not knowing how the forums have now been hosted and built, is there a way to allow non members to search 5 or 10 times before membership is required to continue to use the function. when i first started looking at the site the search and find features were the best way to confirm that the forums and membership were worth paying for.

As mentioned in previous posts there are other ways to search but if the WSCC wants to entice new members and prove that there is a knowledge base worth paying for maybe a try before you buy option would help? i know there are ways round the WSCC search by using google, but the majority of users who own a car will not be bothered with the effort.

As things stand at the moment all i can see happening is more time being spent for the moderators clearing repeat questions of things that could be easily resolved with a few free searches.

Don't know if it's possible, but it is at least an interesting and helpful idea - well done.

Just to muddy the waters...

I posted that "guide" because the original search engine had been badly broken for YEARS, yet only a handful of us ever seemed to notice! So it couldn't have been that big a deal breaker :)

And even when it did work, many would still ask the question rather than doing a search :d :d

i know there are ways round the WSCC search by using google, but the majority of users who own a car will not be bothered with the effort.

If they already own a Westfield then I would question why they are not already a member of the club??? Therefore I very much doubt giving them the ability to search will change their mind about joining.